[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tabs in PC-Write

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/16/87)

<In Syracuse, you dress in a tie; in Ephesus, you juggle . . . or die!>

In article <2215@dasys1.UUCP>, manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) writes:
> In article <17053@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buita.UUCP (Jim Frost) writes:
> >Another item might be "user-modifiable."  Almost everything about
> >PC-Write is configurable if you try.
>
> I was a die-hard PC-Write (registered) fan for years.  Most of my work
> with editors however has been source code. . . .
>                              The major problem I had with PC-Write was
> that I couldn't figure out how to get it to enter tabs into text rather
> than multiple spaces.  The latter really slows you down on editing and
> adds about 30% to the size of an average C source file.
> + Steve Manes {decvax!philabs!cmcl2!hombre,uunet!iuvax!bsu-cs}!magpie!manes

(Any relation to the PC Magazine editor?)

It's a problem.  You can enter a tab character by holding down the ALT
key and typing the Ascii code for a tab (nine) on the keypad.  And
*then* you can redefine the TAB key (or control-I, or both) to have
that same effect.

But PC-Write will only *show* a tab character as a circle, instead of
indenting appropriately.  This is a nuisance if you're editing source
code.  It's a *disaster* if you're trying to type a table in your word
processor, and you don't know how wide the columns have to be yet.

In 2.71, there are at least commands to expand tabs into spaces, and
compress spaces to tabs.  These are presumably based on the tab
settings in the ruler lines.  (Yeah, and you can't set a tab at the
left, right, or paragraph margin.)  PC-Write 3.0 is supposed to expand
tabs dynamically (i.e., the right way for most of us), in addition to
finally breaking the 64K barrier, and supporting multiple columns.
First quarter 88, maybe.

But it's fast, it's reasonably easy to learn and use, it's got some
very powerful features (which often aren't as easy to learn or use),
it's well supported, it works wonderfully with Ascii files (even with
automatic rejustification), and it's pretty cheap ($89).  More
importantly for me, I can legally and ethically give it to someone and
say, "Here, try this out.  If you like it, buy it."  Sort of an
unlimited site license.

As for programming editors:  My fingers know vi; if it was that
important, I'd send the MKS folks some money.  As it is, the editor in
the Turbo C integrated environment is usually good enough.  When it
isn't, I fall back to PC-Write.

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com, PC-Write #023254
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.