[comp.sys.ibm.pc] bad sector maintenance

sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP (Sandy Phipps) (12/07/87)

I would like to get information about programs that allow you to
verify hard disks (RLL type - as this is what I have), and when
the program encounters a bad sector, it should be able to mark the
sector as bad.

I was recently doing a "Fastback" backup and encounted a

General Failure on Disk Drive C:
Ignore, Retry, Abort?

I located the sectors, but can't mark them bad.  Was able to over-
come the problem temporarily by making a new copy of the file that
was on the sectors and DOS put it somewhere else.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Sandy Phipps -- Info & Comp Science Dept --  Uni Of Hawaii @ Manoa
                -- 2565 The Mall -- Honolulu, 96822 -- (808) 948-7420
--UUCP    - {ihnp4,uunet,ubcvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!humu!uhmanoa!sandy
--ARPA    - uhmanoa!sandy@nosc.MIL
--INTERNET- sandy@uhmanoa.ICS.HAWAII.EDU
--BITNET  - phipps@uhccux
          - phipps%uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu@rutgers.edu  (LAST RESORT)

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (12/10/87)

$
$ I was recently doing a "Fastback" backup and encounted a
$
$ General Failure on Disk Drive C:
$ Ignore, Retry, Abort?
$
$ I located the sectors, but can't mark them bad.  Was able to over-
$ come the problem temporarily by making a new copy of the file that
$ was on the sectors and DOS put it somewhere else.
$
$ Any help would be appreciated.
$
$ -- Sandy Phipps -- Info & Comp Science Dept --  Uni Of Hawaii @ Manoa
$ [rest of signature]

A combination of DOS's RECOVER and Norton's DT (disk test) program
fits the bill here.  If a file is sitting on the bad sectors, type
"recover <filename>" and you will get a truncated copy of the file and
the sectors will be marked.  If the bad sectors are not in a file, use
DT to test the _disk_, not _files_.  It will prompt you if it's ok to
mark the bad sectors.  Say yes.

If you are not sure, or if some bad sectors are in files and some are
not, use DT first to tell you where they are.  Then use recover
afterwards.  Recover, though, should be thought of as a last resort
since it truncates the file.  Sometimes, with a lot of retries, you
can copy the file somewhere else before you destroy it.  You have
noticed this already.

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

esr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Edward Roepe) (12/11/87)

Norton's DT command (version 4.0) allows you to determine bad clusters
and also mark them. I always use DT on new disks to make sure all of the
clusters can be used as indicated by CHKDSK.  Ed

pcnews@ihlpa.ATT.COM (45261-Thayalan) (12/12/87)

In article <316@uhmanoa.UUCP>, sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP (Sandy Phipps) writes:
> I would like to get information about programs that allow you to
> verify hard disks (RLL type - as this is what I have), and when
> the program encounters a bad sector, it should be able to mark the
> sector as bad......

You should be able to this using the "recover" command in MS-DOS.
Using this command you can recover a file that was located on a
bad sector, moreover, the bad sector will be marked so that in the
future DOS will not allocate that sector to any file ( I guess the
that this cluster is marked bad in the FAT).
I have not used FASTBACK, however, most backup program will tell you
which file it was backingup when this error occured (reading bad sector).
So you can do "recover" on that file. Please refer to your msdos command manual
to get more info on this command, before you actually use it.
(for instance you may not want to do a "recover" on the whole drive).

K. Thayalan

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/12/87)

Some disk controllers have the feature built-in when you do a low-
level format.  I've noticed, though, that they don't always find the
bad sectors flagged by the manufacturer.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

mrc@CAM.UNISYS.COM (Ken Leonard --> ken@oahu.mcl.unisys.com@sdcjove.cam.unisys.com) (12/16/87)

In article <316@uhmanoa.UUCP> sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP (Sandy Phipps) writes:
>I would like to get information about programs that allow you to
>verify hard disks...

Sandy...    get an issue of _BYTE_ or _PC_, look at the small ads in the
back pages, find _Golden Bow Systems_ (any product of theirs) and call
or write for info on the pkg which has VOPT, VSPEED, etc.--it has
a func called VMARKBAD which does what you want.

Regardz,
Ken