[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3 1/2 inch drives for AT

ssb@picuxa.UUCP (Scott Strool 3D1 X1153) (12/09/87)

I would like to know if any Netter's have any experience with installing
 a 3 1/2 inch drive in an AT clone. I would like to get one but am a little
leary of it working with my machine. Would I be able to run software
that comes on 3 1/2 now. Which DOS would I need. How about a disk
controller.
  Thanks,
    Scott Strool

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (12/12/87)

In article <408@picuxa.UUCP>, ssb@picuxa.UUCP (Scott Strool 3D1 X1153) writes:
> I would like to know if any Netter's have any experience with installing
>  a 3 1/2 inch drive in an AT clone. I would like to get one but am a little
> leary of it working with my machine. Would I be able to run software
> that comes on 3 1/2 now. Which DOS would I need. How about a disk
> controller.

I would suggest that you buy an NEC 3 1/2" kit for the AT.
Make sure you ask for cabbles, rails, and manuals.  It is very
easy to install as drive B.  Just slip out the old one and slip in
the new using the new disk drive cables.  Also, insert this into your
config.sys file:
  drivparm=/d:1/f:2
You must be using PC or MS-DOS 3.2

Good Luck!
Bill Wilson

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (12/13/87)

In article <408@picuxa.UUCP> ssb@picuxa.UUCP (Scott Strool 3D1 X1153) writes:
>I would like to know if any Netter's have any experience with installing
> a 3 1/2 inch drive in an AT clone. I would like to get one but am a little
>leary of it working with my machine. Would I be able to run software
>that comes on 3 1/2 now. Which DOS would I need. How about a disk
>controller.
>  Thanks,
>    Scott Strool
I installed 3.5" disks into my XT clone.    The only thing I had to do was
to crimp on a different connector onto the flex cable and make an adapter
for the power connector.   The pinouts are the same as a 5.25 but the
connectors are different.   You will need to be running DOS 3.2 or higher
and I'm not sure if you need to be running any kind of special controller.
I'm running the Paterson Labs FLEX/FIXED combo controller.   Since it only
understands 2 flex drives I also needed to put a switch in so I could
switch between the 1.2Meg 5.25 and the 720K 3.5.    I still have a 360
in the A position.

Also, if you buy a raw drive like I did to install into your system.   You
will need to craft up some kind of mounting plate so it will fit one of
your slots.    I'm more conserned with function than look so mine is
sitting on the table out in the open.

Again, this was on an XT clone, but should also work on your AT.
H.B.

--
Harry Burford - NCR E & M Wichita, Printer Engineering
PHONE:   316-688-8016

zinzow@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/15/87)

I just bought a SYSGEN Bridge file which is their external 3 1/2" drive
which seems to work fine with both 1.4MB and 720K disks.  The price was
also pretty good, $395 for one drive and controller, and $334 for two or
more.  They also had internals, but I didn't want to give up my 360K drive.
They have full page ads in the last few issues of PC Magazine.

epb19@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/17/87)

When you install the new controller, do you deactivate the old one?
ie does the new on run four drives like the old XT controllers?