[comp.sys.ibm.pc] new product: modem-controlled AC power switch

bobo@telesoft.UUCP (Bob Olds @spot) (12/10/87)

           October 21, 1987      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

     San Diego, California:  Epoch Data Devices announced today

the introduction of a new product called "MR. MOX": a modem

controlled AC power switch for use with a PC and an external

modem.  MR. MOX features 4 heavy duty grounded outlets; 2 of

these are hot always, and 2 are controlled automatically by the

Carrier Detect signal from an external modem.  When any PC is

then plugged into the automatic outlets and the software provided

is installed, a user may call the PC from a remote modem and have

complete use and access to files.  The included software can

automatically differentiate at boot between the local use of the

PC and a remote caller, so a local user sees no difference

whatsoever when MR. MOX is added to the system!  Other features

include:

   o    Manual-override switch      o    125 V 15 Amp circuit
        can be placed anywhere           breaker
        for user convenience
                                    o    Complete with DB-25
   o    100 second power-off             tap-in cable that
        delay to protect                 allows installation in
        against carrier drop-            just minutes
        out
                                    o    Comprehensive User's
   o    Built-in surge                   Manual with application
        supression                       hints

     MR. MOX is priced at $99.95, and is distributed by:

                  Kenmore Computer Technologies
                        30 Suncrest Drive
                   Rochester, New York  14609
                         (716) 654-7356

                Diagram_of_MR. MOX_system_components

 _________                                     ______
/         \          Cord & Plug              /      |----
|   ___   |===================================       |===
|  [___]  |     Main Switch                   \______|----
|         |
|  /   \  |
|  \ o /  |     \
|         |      ----- "Hot" outlets
|  /   \  |     /
|  \ o /  |                                        ________
|  _____  |                 DB-25 Carrier        _|________|_
| |     | |                 Detect Tap          |            |
| |     | |                        _____________|            |
| |     | |                       <_________    |____________|
| |     | |                __---____________>     |________|
| | | | | |<----                                 |___|
|  \ o /  |     \                Override Switch
|         |      \
|  /   \  |       \                             _____
| | | | | |<---------- "Automatic" outlets     |  U  |
|  \ o /  |                                    |  o  |
|         |                                    |_____|
 \_______/
                                               Program
                                               diskette

--
allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
gould9!  \      crash!--\         (619) 457-2700 x240
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bobo (Bob Olds)
nosc!     /              /
scgvaxd! /     log-hb!--/         5959 Cornerstone Court West
ucbvax! /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

All expressed opinions belong to yours truely.  :^)

farber@udel.EDU (Dave Farber) (12/10/87)

I strongly object to advertisement on any network that feeds into
the Internet. Lets stop this cr_p immediately

David J. Farber
University of Delaware
Dept of EE Newark De 19716

Office: 302-451-1163;
Arpanet/CSNet: farber@udel.edu

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (12/11/87)

Thanks for that wonderful press release.  Isn't it a little late, though?
I saw a product exactly like this about three years ago.

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!man,ihnp4!jack!man, hp-sdd!crash, pyramid}!sdeggo!dave

hollen@suntory.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/11/87)

In article <790@louie.udel.EDU> farber@udel.EDU (Dave Farber) writes:

>I strongly object to advertisement on any network that feeds into
>the Internet. Lets stop this cr_p immediately

This seems a little strong.  There is a newsgroup (comp.newprod)
specifically designed with strong rules for postings of new products.
It is intended to disseminate information, not be a platform for
self-back-patting and horn-tooting.  Please let's not discourage this
kind of posting, but merely re-direct it to the appropriate forum.
If you then do not like to hear about these sort of things, then
do not subscribe to comp.newprod.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			    ames!scubed!
		{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!hollen
			 sdcsvax!esosun!

kgdykes@orchid.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (12/17/87)

In article <790@louie.udel.EDU> farber@udel.EDU (Dave Farber) writes:

>I strongly object to advertisement on any network that feeds into
>the Internet. Lets stop this cr_p immediately

 *You* stop the cr_p.
 If your silly government network cant handle or otherwise accept
certain types of Input from OUTSIDE networks, thats their problem.
If the OUTSIDE nets want to cut advertising for their own reasons,
fine with me,
*but* i object strongly to some agency DICTATING what procedures
un-related nets, organisations, or whatever, shall follow.
 -ken
>David J. Farber
>Arpanet/CSNet: farber@udel.edu

--
          - Ken Dykes,   Software Development Group, U.of.Waterloo
              kgdykes@watmath.uucp     kgdykes@water.bitnet