[comp.sys.ibm.pc] No problem AT clones

myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) (11/25/87)

Which AT clones do  not have problems ? Anticipated applications include:
CAD work, record keeping, programming in C, games and fun.
Monitor and card purchased: NEC MULTISYNC II and GENOA Super Hi Res.

myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) (11/25/87)

Which AT clones do not have problems ?
Anticipated applications include: CAD work, record keeping,
programming in C, games, GEM, fun.
Monitor and card purchased: NEC MULTISYNC II and GENOA Super Hi Res.
A base system (preferrably 12 MHz) and a hard drive (40 Mb) is a question.

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (11/30/87)

In article <2001@briar.Philips.Com> myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) writes:
>Which AT clones do  not have problems ?

I've never had any problems (compatibility, reliability, etc.) with my
AST Research Premium/286.

Jeff Siegal

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (12/01/87)

In article <2001@briar.Philips.Com>, myb@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael Bakhmutsky) writes:
> Which AT clones do  not have problems?

Compaqs are quite reliable, guaranteed to be IBM-compatible, and
give better-than-IBM performance.  They're also not cheap.
However, if you want an AT-type machine that's clearly better than
IBM's AT, you'll get that in a Compaq.

In general, most "name brand" AT-type machines are pretty
compatible these days, with occasional problems for which there
are usually workarounds.  No-name clones tend to have more
frequent problems, and you're likely to have to expend more effort
to find out the workarounds (if any) to problems that arise.
Basically, the more you know, the cheaper the machine you can
afford to buy.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,ames}!bnrmtv!perkins         --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) (12/02/87)

In article <3151@bnrmtv.UUCP>, perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
> Compaqs are quite reliable, guaranteed to be IBM-compatible, and
> give better-than-IBM performance.  They're also not cheap.

FLAME ON

A Compaq just about took a twenty story leap two weeks ago. I
tried for a week to read the Compaq's 1.2 meg floppies, gave up, and had
our guy send out the hard disk. I was expecting the hard disk
to be like any other hard disk I'd ever seen on an AT. Foolish me.

Unfortunately, the Compaq had a CDC type 17 drive in it and nonstandard
connectors (the pin type as opposed to the edge connectors).
If this is Compaq's cute idea of locking you into their hard drives,
it didn't seem very funny as I drove 170 miles on icy
roads in the middle of a snowstorm in the middle of the night
to meet the rest of the Compaq in Burlington, Colorado to pick up
the machine and meet a 9 a.m. deadline back in Denver the same morning.

I get the damn thing back to the office, plug it in, and the disk
drive makes some god-awful high pitched noises (found out later it'd
been doing that in Kansas for two months! - Businessland couldn't
fix it, but that is another flame), but was able to hardwire
it to the trusty Microport IMS clone and transfer my 14 megabyte
data file. Whew.

Ok, you can flame me for wanting to play hardware boy, but I've
done it for so long I don't really want to change my evil ways,
and I don't appreciate manipulative tweaks by hardware manufactures.
I'd expect it from IBM, but not clone makers.

FLAME UP

I'll never buy a Compaq product as long as I live and breathe. Ever.
Save your moolah and buy an unabashed clone.

FLAME OFF

Robert White
--
//////////////////286 Moderator -- comp.unix.microport\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Email to microport@uwspan for info on the newsgroup comp.unix.microport.

jonm@killer.UUCP (12/07/87)

> rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) writes:
> Foolish me.

"Foolish you" indeed, is right!

I'm sorry that Mr. White feels that Compaq is as he says
"manipulatively tweaking" their hardware.  As far am I'm concerned,
nothing could be farther from the truth.  Compaq is dedicated to
compatiblity and customer satisfaction.  Admittedly the customer
service and support provided by the retail channels varies greatly,
from superior to unacceptable, but if Mr. White had taken the time to
contact Compaq directly he might have been able to avoid some of his
misadventures.

I should say, for everyone's information, that the views expressed in
this article are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of
my employer, *Compaq Computer Corporation*.  As a relatively new
Compaq employee in a systems engineering group I can, I believe
fairly unbiasedly, attest to the the high standards of "industry
standard" compatibility which are applied to Compaq products.  There
is a lot of pride in the success of Compaq in competition with IBM
and PC clone-makers in product performance and innovation.

Mr. White seems to have had several distinct problems in transfering
large data files from a Compaq system to some other system.  I quote
from his article:

	1) [Mr. White] "...tried for a week to read the Compaq's 1.2 meg
           floppies..."
	2) "...the Compaq had a CDC type 17 drive in it and nonstandard
	   connectors"
	3) "the disk drive makes some god-awful high pitched noises"

I don't understand the nature of the problem Mr. White had reading the
1.2 meg floppies.  If he was attempting to read 360K format
floppies written on a 1.2 meg drive on the Compaq with a 360K
drive on the destination system, then he may well have had
difficulty, but that problem is not realted to Compaq's reliability
or compatibility.  The 360K floppy disk has 48 tpi, the 1.2 meg floppy
disk has 96 tpi.  When the 1.2 meg drive writes a 360K formatted
disk, the information is written to the correct track location, but
the track is only half as wide.  The resulting disk may or may not
be readable on a 360K drive, depending on the alignment of the
reading and writing drives.  Both IBM and Compaq have documented this
"limitation", but as a matter of fact, I routinely transfer data
on diskettes between the 1.2 meg floppy drive on a Compaq 286 Deskpro
and generic 360K floppy drives with few problems.

If on the other hand he was trying to read 1.2 meg images on the
destination machine, there is a distinct possiblity that the problem
was the result of alignment differences between the two 1.2 meg
drives.  Mr. White does not specify the Compaq system configuration
and mentions the destination system only obliquely as "the trusty
Microport IMS clone".  It takes two to tango, though, and the problem
might well have been with the destination system and not with the
Compaq.  If either system's drive were badly out of alignment or
if the two system's drives were out of adjustment in opposite
directions, then certainly read errors could make diskette data
interchange between the systems difficult.

As for the incompatibilty of the fixed disk drive connections, the
most obvious point is that fixed disks are not intended to be data
exchange devices,-- particularly when separated from their
controllors and software device driver routines.  These points and
the stories of how may miles Mr. White drove through the ice and snow
because of his own naivete' not withstanding, there are many possible
reasons for the differences among the many fixed disk drives which
Compaq supports.

Fixed disk drives used in portable computers must not only be small
enough to fit into the portable case, but must also be able to
survive the bumps and shocks received in transport. Since Mr. White
did not describe the Compaq system, I don't know if the unit with
which he had a problem was intended for use in a portable system. The
40 or 50 fixed disk drive types currently supported by Compaq have a
variety of operating characteristics and applications.  The most
recent additions to the list include high performance/high capacity
fixed disk drives using a 1:1 interleave factor.  While the drive
with which Mr. White had difficulty was not one of these new drives,
I doubt that anyone would expect to be able to simply plug one of these
drives into a "foriegn" system (controllor/ROM/driver) and have the data
be accessible.  The same holds true for many of the earlier Compaq
fixed disk drives.

With regards to the "high pitched noises",  it sounds (pun intended)
as though the hard disk drive may be failing.  Fixed disk drives have
a projected operating life expectancy and eventually *will* fail.
The exact nature of Mr. White's complaint is unclear.  Does he feel
that the fixed disk drive failed because of poor quality control or
is his complaint mainly with the poor sevice which the retail dealer
provided?  If the Compaq system were still in warranty and the dealer
could not correct the problem then a call to Compaq customer support
would obtain information on other service channels for repair under
warranty.  As with all consumer product service problems, if the
dealer cannot resolve the difficulty, the customer should esclate the
complaint to the dealer's "home office", the distributor, and then
the manufacturer.

Mr. White's flamage is colorful, but short on fuel to keep the fires
really burning brightly.  If these were the worst complaints
concerning compatibility of a non-IBM PC, then all the Korean and ROC
manufacturers would "wish that they had it so bad..."  Mr. White's
oath to never purchase a Compaq product seems a little silly when
compared to the trade journals' and general market's view of
Compaq,-- particularly the new 386 systems.

The decision of which PC to buy should be made on a variety of
criteria including price, performance, compatibility, support and
in some cases name brand.  Yes, there are still some places where
"nobody ever lost his/her job for buying an IBM product."  Compaq
also has a name and reputation which make it an attractive source for
PC's.  As for prices, Compaq's suggested list prices are comparable
with their competitor, IBM.  In general, Compaq's distribution
channels and marketing strategies take their products out of
competition with PC-clone importers and mail order computer system
integrators.

It may well be that a low cost PC-clone provides the best
price/performance/reliability match for a particular situation.  The
quality of customer support, especially for non-technical users, and
dealer and manufacturer reputations may, however, make a larger
initial investment payoff in the long run.

							JonM

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/08/87)

Where are you getting your replacement supplies:  My boss's Compaq just
died for the first time since we bought it more than 3 years ago.  It's
fully loaded, including 640K ram, two floppy drives, and a hard disk.

One of our local Compaq dealers had two different power supplies
available for replacement ($ 125 for either option).  One company
rebuilt supplies, and offered a 1 year warranty.  Compaq offered
new supplies, with a 90 day warranty.

Initially they gave us a rebuilt supply, which never worked right
from the beginning.  Within three days, it was dead from a shorted
diode.  The dealer told me that, although a lot of customers found
the longer warranty more attractive, they had a higher failure
rate with the rebuilt supplies.  The factory-new supply, a different
design than the original, works fine.

Be sure that you're getting a new Compaq factory supply, and that
it's the latest design.  Your dealer might fix old supplies for
resale, or get them from the same rebuilder as our local dealer.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (12/08/87)

Ok, you Compaq lovers, how about this? My Compaq DOS manual wouldn't
fit into its binder because the holes punched didn't match the ring
spacing. How hard can it be to get this right?

And why can't Compaq use the same size manuals as everyone else?
--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (12/08/87)

In article <19478@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Ok, you Compaq lovers, how about this? My Compaq DOS manual wouldn't
>fit into its binder because the holes punched didn't match the ring
>spacing. How hard can it be to get this right?
>
>And why can't Compaq use the same size manuals as everyone else?

Come on can't you come up with a better gripe.  This is petty.  I have had a
Compaq Deskpro (8086) since Dec of 85.  For the past year it has been running
non-stop except for occasional shutdowns to upgrade the machine and install
operating systems.  My only reply to your incessant whining is:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  (little baby screaming)
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (G.Pavlov) (12/09/87)

In article <2363@killer.UUCP>, jonm@killer.UUCP (Jon Meinecke) writes:

> ...... long "defense" of his employer, Compaq .....
  ending with:

> It may well be that a low cost PC-clone provides the best
> price/performance/reliability match for a particular situation.  The
> quality of customer support, especially for non-technical users, and
> dealer and manufacturer reputations may, however, make a larger
> initial investment payoff in the long run.
>
> 							JonM

  Alternatively, one can (should, actually, if spending someone else's money)
  consider offerings from other comapnies, particularly AST, which I believe
  are at least equal to Compaq's ("reputation" for) quality, have wide distri-
  bution, exhibit innovative design, yet are significantly cheaper.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

haapanen@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/10/87)

In article <483@hscfvax.UUCP> pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (G.Pavlov) writes:
>In article <2363@killer.UUCP>, jonm@killer.UUCP (Jon Meinecke) writes:

>> It may well be that a low cost PC-clone provides the best
>> price/performance/reliability match for a particular situation.  The
>> quality of customer support, especially for non-technical users, and
>> dealer and manufacturer reputations may, however, make a larger
>> initial investment payoff in the long run.

>  Alternatively, one can (should, actually, if spending someone else's money)
>  consider offerings from other comapnies, particularly AST, which I believe
>  are at least equal to Compaq's ("reputation" for) quality, have wide distri-
>  bution, exhibit innovative design, yet are significantly cheaper.

A case in point: I have an AST/286, a friend has a Compaq 286.
Neither of them has any sort of reliability problems.  But, we both
decided to install 3.5" disk drives in the machines.  Here's what
happened:

AST:
Remove cover (screws are pretty tight).  Uh-huh, have to remove hard
disk to get at screws for floppy disk (6 screws for hard disk, 4 for
floppy).  Install revised cable on floppy, install drive.  Replace
hard disk, plug in cables, replace cover.  Run setup, select 720K for
drive 1.  AST's MS-DOS works with no problem.  Driveline isn't
supposedly supported, but when I added drivparm=/d:1 /f:2 it was OK.

Compaq:
Remove cover.  Oops, need a Torx, get one from Canadian Tire.  Oh, #10
won't work.  Go back, exchange for #15, and remove cover.  Where to
install -- cable will only reach to the left side.  Must remove all
expansion cards (more Torx) and fron indicator panel.  Remove blank
panel.  Aha, drive needs rails.  Install rails (included) --- but hey,
Compaq doesn't use the IBM-standard rails!  After an hours' worth of
customizing, rails will fit and attach, although not as steady as IBM
or AST.  Find a power connector since Compaq doesn't supply spare
power cables.  Make connections, replace cards, panel, cover.  Setup
has no option for 720K drives, Compaq DOS 3.1 won't recognize it.
Switch to generic MS-DOS 3.2, add drivparm line to config.sys.   Drive
now works, but on boot the machine complains that setup has not been
run.  Try Phoenix setup, but appears that Compaq uses non-standard
setup.

Conclusion:  The AST is more nicely built, has good service, standard
components, and is significantly cheaper than Compaq.  Of course, this
is just my (and my friend's!) opinion.

						\tom haapanen
						haapanen@watdcsu.uucp

I have no association with AST, except as a satisfied user of their products.

jonm@killer.UUCP (Jon Meinecke) (12/11/87)

In article <483@hscfvax.UUCP>, pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (G.Pavlov) writes:
> In article <2363@killer.UUCP>, jonm@killer.UUCP (Jon Meinecke) writes:
> >
> > ...... long "defense" of his employer, Compaq .....
>   ending with:
>
> ...[ quote from my posting ] ...
>
>    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

If you've dismissed all my comments on this subject as merely partisanism
by a Compaq employee, "hit 'n' now"!...

My response to Mr. White's posting regarding problems that he had
transferring data from a Compaq PC was not meant to be a "defense" of my
employer, but rather a response to what I believed was a poorly formed
assessment of a PC manufactuer's compatibility and corporate motives.  I
would have taken just as much exception, though perhaps not as much
interest, to the "put-down" of any PC-compatible system on the basis of
Mr. White's complaints.  Examine my responses to the specific problems
discussed by Mr. White and if the responses have no merit, dismiss them.

You will get no argument from me that there are many excellent PC-compatible
systems which cost less than a comparable Compaq system.  If I were
purchasing a system for my own use, I would probably buy the lowest cost
system which met my performance, compatibility, and support requirements.
Such a system might well *not* be a Compaq if I were buying an AT class
desktop computer.  There is intense price competition among the makers
of such systems, with prices reducing some of the other concerns regarding
long term support and service.  If I needed a portable 386 or high-end
desktop 386 system, then the story might be different...  These systems
won't be "obsolete" (hopefully) as soon as the PC and AT class machines
and therefore comprise a longer term investment and a different set of
puchasing criteria.

Some of the largest rocks concerning compatibility and ease of service
of Compaq systems are thrown (internally) by Compaq employees.  When
these stones hit their target, the problem is corrected, usually
before the system "hits the street".

Read my postings with appropriate skepticism, if you will, but hopefully
I can contribute some perspective on PC issues.  Compaq is not the first
manufaturer of PC hardware for which I have worked and I believe that my
background is broad enough to add to the "signal" rather than the "noise"
component of this news group.  I'm a software engineer, not a hardware
designer or marketeer,-- primarily a "consumer" of PC hardware rather than
a "supplier".

					Thanks for reading this response,

					JonM

These are my own views (really!), and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.

jamesa@amadeus.TEK.COM (James Akiyama) (12/12/87)

Mr. White Writes:

> Unfortunately, the Compaq had a CDC type 17 drive in it and nonstandard
> connectors (the pin type as opposed to the edge connectors).
> If this is Compaq's cute idea of locking you into their hard drives,
> it didn't seem very funny as I drove 170 miles on icy
> roads in the middle of a snowstorm in the middle of the night
> to meet the rest of the Compaq in Burlington, Colorado to pick up
> the machine and meet a 9 a.m. deadline back in Denver the same morning.

There are other possible explanations for Compaq choosing this "nonstandard"
connector scheme.  I believe you will find that this connector is really a
modified (and stripped-down) IBM PC/AT style interface.  This interface is
actually very close to the interface used on many of the "hard-card" drives.
The "standard" interface today is the ST506/412 interface using MFM encoding.
This "standard" is beginning to become outdated.  Major limitations include:

    1.	Approximately 160 MEG capacity limit due to head, cylinder, and
	and track density limitation imposed by standard.

    2.	Maximum transfer rate of 5 megabits/second (1/2 megabyte/second)
	transfer rate.

By having the interface AT-style and placing the fixed disk controller on the
fixed disk itself, these limitations can be overcome in future disk drives.
Compaq has already done this with their 100 MEG drive option in the Portable
386.  This 3 1/2" drive (made by Connors Peripheral) uses an embedded SCSI
controller using 2,7 RLL encoding.  This allows an effective transfer rate
five times faster than the "standard" AT-style controller (since AT's normally
require an interleave of 2:1).  It also allows better optimization of the
controller to the fixed disk often times yielding a better average seek time
and overall performance.

Note that this drive may be plugged into any Compaq which supports the drive
type number WITHOUT CHANGING THE CONTROLLER BOARD.  This drive would require
a new controller card in most AT-clones, which is nearly impossible in Compaq's
portables since they include other functions on the controller board (I assume
for size reduction reasons).

Other advantages could be stated including manufacturing cost reduction on
computers configured without fixed disks (including a "diskless" node to a
network) since such a unit does not have a useless fixed disk controller
included.

As for adding a "non-Compaq" fixed disk; you might try contacting a local
Western Digital dealer.  I believe that they actually do manufacture the
embedded controller for ST506 MFM drives used on Compaqs.  I believe the
controller is their WD1003-IDX controller and is again similar to the
controller they use on their hard cards.  I am not sure whether Western
Digital sells these outright or just to OEMs but it's probably worth a try.

I realize that this may be make third party upgrades inconvenient and difficult
but as a design engineer myself I know that often times tradeoffs must be made
between overall performance and ease of option installations.

Note that I am not affiliated in any way to Compaq computers (I work at
Tektronix, Inc.) other than owning a Compaq computer myself.  This information
is my own options and does not necessarily reflect the view of Tektronix, Inc.
I hope this information is helpful.

					James Akiyama

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/13/87)

We are now buying Compaq computers. But all our older machines are IBM. And we
didn't want to waste money on stocking both "standard" and Compaq hard drives
for spares.  (With over a hundred machines, spares are _not_ a luxury!)

The solution is rather simple. On the Deskpro 286, you flip _one_ dip switch
which disables the hard drive controller on the multifunction board. Then add
a (cheap) WD controller and you have a Compaq running a standard drive and
controller pair.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (12/18/87)

In article <636@qetzal.UUCP> rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) writes:
>In article <3151@bnrmtv.UUCP>, perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
>> Compaqs are quite reliable, guaranteed to be IBM-compatible, and
>> give better-than-IBM performance.  They're also not cheap.
>
>FLAME ON
>
> [Stuff about floppy trouble, incompatible HD interface,
>  Compaq price gouging, etc.]
>
>... but was able to hardwire
>it to the trusty Microport IMS clone and transfer my 14 megabyte
>data file. Whew.

Contains mild IMS flames...

Sorry, but this is where I really get lost.  I own a clone.  I now
use several varieties of clone at the office as well.  Two of the
ones at the office are IMS machines, and we have Microport running
(sort of) on an NCR.  The IMS has been the very least compatible with
respect to the floppy.  We can also cause its keyboard to hang *at will*.
The Compaq machines, while they may not be physically hardware compatible,
are a much higher quality machine than the IMS.  Further, the hardware
differences would all appear to have been included for performance,
and *not* for pricing.  Do you really think the PC market is sophisticated
enough to need that type of justification for Compaq's price structure?
I don't.  In short, I wouldn't buy one for home, but the Compaq is the
best match for some jobs.

BTW, specifics about our IMS troubles are available on request.

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      uunet!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180