[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Eye

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) (12/09/87)

I'm interested in finding out about some device called PC-Eye.  All I
know is that it is a device which allows a video camera to be connected
to a PC so that images generated by the camera are digitized on the PC.

What I would like to know is:  Is it still around?  If so, how much
is it?

If there's enough interest, I'll summarize to the net...

Thanks in Advance
Karl Kingston

Karl Kingston

UUCP:  ..!rochester!ritcv!kfk9673
BITNET:  KFK9673@RITVAX

mike@lll-lcc.aRpA (Mike Hummell) (12/10/87)

In article <6@ritcv.UUCP>, kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) writes:
> I'm interested in finding out about some device called PC-Eye.  All I
> know is that it is a device which allows a video camera to be connected
> to a PC so that images generated by the camera are digitized on the PC.
>
> What I would like to know is:  Is it still around?  If so, how much
> is it?

Yes, PCEYE is still around.  Price: $495 to $2495 , depending on the
resolution.  You get hardware ( a board) and software.  I wrote some
in-line machine code in Turbo Pascal 3.1 to run their memory-resident
software via interrupts (to do pattern-recognition on real-time images)
but it comes with a user-friendly "canned" program.  I have found
them to be helpful and responsive,  and recommend them.  Check with
them about what software is included:
   Chorus Data Systems  6 Continental Blvd.  Merrimack, NH 03054
   (603) 424-2900   [they have an 800 #,  call 800 information]

From their User's Guide:  "Any object that can be viewed with a
standard video camera or recorder can be captured as high resolution
pictures on your PC."

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"  --  Vegetius
mike@lll-lcc.arpa        |       ... ucbvax!lll-crg!lll-lcc!mike

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/12/87)

I'd be surprised if it was still manufactured.  It's a very low
resolution CCD based camera with interface board for the PC.  Most
of the Macintosh digitizers, which use a real video input, are
much better.  As I recall, resolution is something like
256*128 pixels.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (12/16/87)

In article <6@ritcv.UUCP> kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) writes:
>I'm interested in finding out about some device called PC-Eye.  All I
>know is that it is a device which allows a video camera to be connected
>to a PC so that images generated by the camera are digitized on the PC.
The PCEYE is a series of boards for the IBM PC made by Chorus Data Systems,
(603) 424-2900, they range in price and capability, but they do allow you
to capture video images on an IBM PC. The PCEYE comes with software, or it
can be used with a display board called the CLARITY from which allows real
images (not dithered, true color or monochrome) to be displayed using an
EGA equipped PC. The CLARITY comes with software to drive the PCEYE 6-bit
card, and is available from SEFCO (818) 765-8882.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (12/18/87)

ATronics International manufactures  the Professional Image Board.  It can
basically be described as a "poor man's TARGA board".

A short review can be found in the 1/12/88 issue of PC MAG.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,hao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101