[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Borland Quattro Review Wanted

agv@j.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Murrell) (12/16/87)

I'm considering the purchase of Borland's new Quattro --
a Lotus 1-2-3 clone/enhancement. I'd enjoy hearing from
anyone with experience using Quattro (if indeed it has
become available -- the flyer I received may have been
announcing ether-ware, I don't know). Responses (both
positive and negative in nature) are welcome, but *please*
no rumors or unfounded opinions (eg. flaming the people
at Borland, or Lotus in general). In other words, just the
facts, ma'am.

In order not to clutter the net, send responses via e-mail
to one of the addresses below. If there are sufficient
one available to this newsgroup.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave
==========
ARPA: agv@cc.purdue.edu
UUCP: cc.purdue.edu!agv
BITNET: murrell@purccvm

jph@cbdkc1.UUCP (12/16/87)

In article <5989@j.cc.purdue.edu> agv@j.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Murrell) writes:
>I'm considering the purchase of Borland's new Quattro --
>a Lotus 1-2-3 clone/enhancement. I'd enjoy hearing from

I just received a copy of Quattro and installed it. My initial
impression is that I will stick to LOTUS. There are nice features such
as the customization of the menus, the improved graphs, and some
additional "@" functions. It did read in my current LOTUS files, but I
found at least a couple of cases where I had to change some macros to
make it work. Also it had the same (or slower) speed in doing the
recalculations of the worksheet. (Now I know all the  arguments about
which 'benchmark' is used). The LOTUS compatible mode is slower in
responding to command than 1-2-3 and the macros executed slower.

Overall, if you don't already use 1-2-3, then Quattro is a good
investment. If you already have a large investment in exising
worksheets, you might want to stick with 1-2-3.

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (12/18/87)

>Someone was asking when it would be out.
>I saw it today at Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale for $129.
>They had a big pile.

I ordered mine directly from Borland when I got the the offer
in the mail ($75 for registered users of other Borland products).
Has anyone who ordered it like I did gotten theirs yet?

	       John Hardin

rms@gubba.SPDCC.COM (Rich Sands) (12/21/87)

In article <4330016@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
>>Someone was asking when it would be out.
>>I saw it today at Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale for $129.
>>They had a big pile.
>>
>I ordered mine directly from Borland when I got the the offer
>in the mail ($75 for registered users of other Borland products).
>Has anyone who ordered it like I did gotten theirs yet?
>
>	       John Hardin

I ordered Quattro the same way for $75, and got it about a week and a half
later. I'm an MBA student, and had been using 1-2-3/Hal for case analysis -
everything from financial analysis to market research, econometrics, even
statistical process control charts. Quattro has been completely compatible
with all my 1-2-3 worksheets, has a much better user interface (pop-up menus),
draws better graphs, recalcs much faster, and in general is a very servicable
replacement/enhancement for 1-2-3 at a much better price. I recommend it. I
use it on my AT&T 6300+ under Simultask, and have had no problems whatsoever.

I've been using it for about a month, and it got me through the end of
the semester cases with flying colors (literally - the thing really lights
up a color display).

	--  rms

Internet: rms@gubba.spdcc.com
UUCP:     ...!harvard!spdcc!gubba!rms