[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Monochrome ega

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (11/30/87)

	Right now, I have an AT with a standard herc mono-graphics
board hooked into a hi-res monochrome monitor. I want to upgrade to ega
graphics but I don't have the green for a new monitor. Is there an ega
card that will let me display ega graphics or even cga graphics on my
monochrome monitor until I can get a multi-sync or whatever it takes?
Would it be possible to display ega or cga graphics on a hi-res
composite color monitor?

	Any help would be appreciated.
--
|o|  Jonathan Joshua       rutgers!{unirot!jjosh,topaz.rutgers.edu!jjoshua} |o|
|o|  Rutgers University      Delphi : bunnyhutch / Compuserve : 73637,254   |o|

Terry@cup.portal.com (12/02/87)

>        Right now, I have an AT with a standard herc mono-graphics
>board hooked into a hi-res monochrome monitor. I want to upgrade to ega
>graphics but I don't have the green for a new monitor. Is there an ega
>card that will let me display ega graphics or even cga graphics on my
>monochrome monitor until I can get a multi-sync or whatever it takes?
>Would it be possible to display ega or cga graphics on a hi-res
>composite color monitor?
>
>        Any help would be appreciated.
>--
>|o|  Jonathan Joshua       rutgers!{unirot!jjosh,topaz.rutgers.edu!jjoshua} |o

There is indeed such a card.  ATI (company name) makes two flavors.  The
EGA Wonder will display CGA, Hercules, EGA, and VGA modes 11 & 12, on
a BUNCH of different monitors, including monochrome TTL.  The VIP card will
do all that plus ALL the VGA modes.

It just so happens I got done talking with them on the phone today.

Also, get a Computer Shopper magazine.  You can find an EGA Wonder for
around $200.  If you want to see an ad from them, look in November's
Byte magazine.

cuddy@eclipse.UUCP (12/03/87)

topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP!jjoshua writes:
>                                                   ...  Is there an ega
> card that will let me display ega graphics or even cga graphics on my
> monochrome monitor until I can get a multi-sync or whatever it takes?

There is a board  called an EGA-WONDER board. It's by ATI (a canadian company).
It allows you to do any kind of graphics (up to EGA, i.e.: not VGA or PGS) on
any monitor except maybe composite (including: TTL-MONO, EGA, std. CGA color).

I'ts not as cheap as some of the Taiwan clone-ega cards but it's about par with
the name brand run-of-the-mill ega cards.

If you want  the BEST ega card, it's the TAXAN GOLD CARD.  It runs every piece
of software.  (even the un-documented 100x160x16 CGA lo-res mode: most EGA's
CHOKE!)

It costs a pretty penny but it's worth it.

Hope it helps,

Mike Cuddy
inhp4!convex!cuddy
CONVEX  Computer Corp
501 N. Plano Rd.
Richardson TX  75081

ALL THE USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY.

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (12/03/87)

In article <16750@topaz.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP writes:

> Is there an ega
>card that will let me display ega graphics or even cga graphics on my
>monochrome monitor

The EGA Wonder from ATI should do the trick. I am using one on my standard
IBM PC and it works well. Although I have not really used the graphics
extensively, I have run Smalltalk V on it.

The EGA Wonder emulates EGA, CGA, and monochrome and will coexist
with a monochrome card. When it is coresidient with a mono card (as in
my case) it will not emulate mono, you must use the MD-DOS mode
command to switch monitors. It is supposed to run virtually any kind
of screen, but I have not tried this out.

Leonard Vanek                  UUCP: ... {utzoo mnetor}!dciem!array!len
Array Systems Computing Inc.   Phone: (416) 736-0900
5000 Dufferin St. Suite 200    FAX:   (416) 736-4715
Downsview, Ont. M3H 5T5
Canada

Disclaimer: Despite the similarity in our corporate names and proximity
of our addresses, I and Array Systems have no connection to Array
Technologies (ATI) except as satisfied customers.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (12/15/87)

> topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP!jjoshua writes:
> >                                                   ...  Is there an ega
> > card that will let me display ega graphics or even cga graphics on my
> > monochrome monitor until I can get a multi-sync or whatever it takes?
>
> There is a board  called an EGA-WONDER board. It's by ATI (a canadian company).
> It allows you to do any kind of graphics (up to EGA, i.e.: not VGA or PGS) on
> any monitor except maybe composite (including: TTL-MONO, EGA, std. CGA color).

In fact, any card that claims to be an EGA will work with the IBM Monochrome
monitor in EGA graphics modes -- many of them will work in CGA graphics
mode as well.  I know for a fact that the Everex EGA card will do so.
However, there's a lot of software out there that assumes "monochrome
monitor = no graphics", and will insist that you don't have a graphics
card installed.  (Reader Rabbit, for example).

Clayton E. Cramer

EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (12/15/87)

Check out PC Magazine Nov 24 1987 for description of Anthena BIOS from Athena D
igital 2351 College Station Road Athens, GA 404-354-4522 $40.

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (12/16/87)

In article <1828@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
$
$ In fact, any card that claims to be an EGA will work with the IBM Monochrome
$ monitor in EGA graphics modes -- many of them will work in CGA graphics
$ mode as well.  I know for a fact that the Everex EGA card will do so.
$ However, there's a lot of software out there that assumes "monochrome
$ monitor = no graphics", and will insist that you don't have a graphics
$ card installed.  (Reader Rabbit, for example).
$
$ Clayton E. Cramer

Not really.  Any card that claims to be an EGA will work with the
IBM monochrome monitor in only *one* graphics mode.  And that mode
is not available on any other IBM card with any other monitor.  So
you can't use an IBM monochrome monitor in CGA mode, at least if
your EGA card is IBM's or just like IBM's.  Therefore, if the
application you are using does not have this particular configuration
in mind, it won't work.

The above does not apply to EGA clone cards that are enhancements
over the IBM, which I have never worked with.  I don't know what
they offer.  I have seen and worked with CGA clone cards that work
on composite monochrome monitors, but nothing with an EGA mode.
Neither have I seen a card with EGA modes that supports composite
monitors.

Oy, what a mess this is!

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

corbin@encore.UUCP (12/17/87)

In article <4291@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neither have I seen a card with EGA modes that supports composite
>monitors.

The ATI EGA wonder will run EGA on a composite monitor.

Anyone looking for a great graphics card should check this one out.  It
can be bought for about $180.
--

Stephen Corbin
{ihnp4, allegra, linus} ! encore ! corbin

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (12/21/87)

In article <4291@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
-The above does not apply to EGA clone cards that are enhancements
-over the IBM, which I have never worked with.  I don't know what
-they offer.  I have seen and worked with CGA clone cards that work
-on composite monochrome monitors, but nothing with an EGA mode.
-Neither have I seen a card with EGA modes that supports composite
-monitors.
-
-Oy, what a mess this is!
-
-Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
-Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
-435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
-Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

I know of at least one video card that will do EGA graphics on a standard
monochrome monitor.  I am currently using the ATI EGA Wonder with a Samsung
monochrome monitor and can run just about any EGA software you care to name.
(I of course don't claim 100% compatability, but then again I haven't tested
it with every piece of software.)  I can also run Hercules graphics, CGA,
and standard monochrome text.  CGA applications don't have that ugly print
because the characters are replaced with a good EGA font and are readable.
The EGA Wonder will do all these modes on almost any monitor (TTL Mono, CGA
Colour, EGA colour, and MultiSync type).  CGA colour monitors have flickering
when in EGA and Hercules modes (maybe mono text, as well), but then that's
better than not being able to run the software at all.  I have found that I
cannot run the demo software that came with my Microsoft Bus Mouse, but ATI
is sending me a new EPROM chip to swap out that they claim will fix the
problem.  The card isn't perfect, you sometimes have to do some experimenting
to see which mode of the card and the software produces the best output, but
I am very pleased with the card overall.  Now, I just want to get enough $$$
to buy a MultiSync monitor, because it has drivers for a number of packages
that allow resolutions of up to 800x560 (or something like that), as well as
VGA modes 11 & 12 on multisyncing monitors.

			Grant Prellwitz
			Prellwitz Computing Services

PS  These opinions are the sole responsibility of the poster, who bears no
relationship to ATI.  He does, however, work for a firm that sells ATI EGA
Wonder cards for $245.  He is also the satisfied owner of one of them.

--
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP