[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AST286 VS. MODEL80

bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (12/21/87)

How can I change my interleave on my Model 80 hard disk?

My problem is this:  I have a 16MHz  Model  80.
And it takes GEM 7seconds to load, whereas it takes 2 on the AST286.
Can anyone explain this?

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/23/87)

In article <36300006@iuvax>, bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

> How can I change my interleave on my Model 80 hard disk?
>
> My problem is this:  I have a 16MHz  Model  80.
> And it takes GEM 7seconds to load, whereas it takes 2 on the AST286.
> Can anyone explain this?

Which hard disk are you using on the model 80?  At the moment you
are pretty much at the mercy of the controller if you have the 70
meg ESDI drive.  The ESDI drive is very, very fast anyway.  I
forget exactly what CORETEST rates it, but it the second fastest PC
drive I have yet seen.  Adaptec makes the controller which does
intelligent buffering of the drive -- looks a little weird when
FDISK tells you the drive has 70 cylinders with 64 heads.

I suspect that GEM is doing something dumb when it loads.  Also
remember that if you are using a VGA driver with GEM that the
screens take that much more memory.

--Bill