[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lotus 123 > DBase III

tom@jiff.berkeley.edu (12/22/87)

.
Is there any (hopefully public domain) way to convert Lotus 123 data files
to DBase III files?

Tom Erbe-Technical Director-Center for Contemporary Music-Mills College
         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jiff.berkeley.edu

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (12/22/87)

In article <1473@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> tom@jiff.berkeley.edu () writes:
>.
>Is there any (hopefully public domain) way to convert Lotus 123 data files
>to DBase III files?

	Have you tried the Translate untility in 123? Also, does
anyone know how to get DbaseIII to export files in DIF format?

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@cs.buffalo.EDU

paul@crash.cts.com (Paul Palacios) (12/22/87)

In article <1473@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> tom@jiff.berkeley.edu () writes:
>.
>Is there any (hopefully public domain) way to convert Lotus 123 data files
>to DBase III files?
>
>Tom Erbe-Technical Director-Center for Contemporary Music-Mills College
>         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jiff.berkeley.edu

I can't remember the exact command sequence now, but I know that it can be
done by exporting the Lotus file to ascii (it will come out to be comma-quote
delimited fields), creat a dbase structure that can accomodate that
file and then append from that file into the newly defined structure.

I had to do this long ago, so I know it works.   Hope this helps.

--
Paul Palacios  UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!portnoy!paul
POBox 842,(CA) INET: paul@portnoy.cts.com              VOICE: wk:(619)458-0230

anthony@utstat.uucp (Anthony Ayiomamitis) (12/25/87)

	Tom, if you use SAS on the PC, you can convert Lotus files to dbase
III quite easily. A procedure in SAS allows the importing of Lotus files. A
second procedure allows the exporting of dbase III files. Thus,

      Lotus file --> SAS temporary file/data set --> dBASE III file

	SAS/PC is quite "prevalent" and, hence, should be able to get your
hands on it. If you have problems, let me know.

Anthony.

--

       	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utstat!anthony
        {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utgpu!utzoo!utstat!anthony

anthony@utstat.uucp (Anthony Ayiomamitis) (12/25/87)

	Someonw was wondering if the reverse is possible (dBASE to Lotus). The
procedures mentioned in my previous posting import and export. Thus, one
can easily import a dBASE III file (proc dbf) in PC/SAS and then export for
the creation of a Lotus (or DIF) file.

Anthony.