[comp.sys.ibm.pc] tar format?

shapiro@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (brian shapiro) (12/23/87)

To the user who posted nethack

why did you post it in uuncoded tar format. why not uuencoded arc, pkarc
or other similar form?

I couldn't get it to uncompress at our site (which I am certain is our
problem).

I am just not sure I understand the logic behind doing such a posting.
After all, not all of the readers and downloaders of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
are unix gurus. (I certainly am not one).

Despite this I would still like to get a copy of the program.

Thanks.

Brian
--
Brian Shapiro, Ohio University Computing  and  Learning Services
Haning Hall, Athens, Ohio 45701   (614) 593-1608

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (12/23/87)

I agree that in this case, using tar was probably not the
best thing to do, since there were only a few files and
no subdirectories.  However, if there are subdirectories, then
tar or zoo is required.

Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

foobar@koko.UUCP (John Fruetel) (12/25/87)

In article <652@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (brian shapiro) writes:

>To the user who posted nethack
>
>why did you post it in uuncoded tar format. why not uuencoded arc, pkarc
>or other similar form?
>
>I couldn't get it to uncompress at our site (which I am certain is our
>problem).

Hmmm...  I couldn't uncompress it either.  Me thinks that there may be a
problem here.  I agree that the posted format was strange.  I vote
for a repost in a uuencoded/arc format.

  *                                                                        *
  *   The opinions expressed here are  John Fruetel                        *
  *   my own, etc., etc., etc..        Valley Fresh Foods, Inc.            *
  *                                    Turlock, CA                         *
  *                                    ..uunet!lll-winken!csustan!foobar   *
  *                                                                        *

jsin@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/27/87)

In article <695@koko.UUCP> foobar@koko.UUCP (John Fruetel) writes:
>In article <652@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (brian shapiro) writes:
>>
>>To the user who posted nethack
>>
>>why did you post it in uuncoded tar format. why not uuencoded arc, pkarc
>>or other similar form?
>>
>>I couldn't get it to uncompress at our site (which I am certain is our
>>problem).

>Hmmm...  I couldn't uncompress it either.  Me thinks that there may be a
>problem here.  I agree that the posted format was strange.  I vote
>for a repost in a uuencoded/arc format.

Well, I uudecoded, uncompressed, and un-tarred it w/o any problems,
but I did have a slight annoyance in that all files were owned by '1874' or
some such person. It would not have been a problem, but the files were
in mode 600! This made it impossible for me to copy them to the PC machines.
I had to ask the 'root' to change the owner to me. Anybody else had this
problem? Whose sorry idea was this?

Otherwise, I am grateful to (Steve Creps?) for posting it. Keep up the good
work! BTW, how did you get it down to <350KB ?  Are you listening, Steve?

John (Jonghoon) Sin
UCLA SEASnet Facilities   ARPA:   jsin@seas.ucla.edu
2567 Boelter Hall         BITNET: jsin%seas.ucla.edu@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Los Angeles, CA. 90025    UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs!jsin
(213) 206-6864