[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seagate ST251 reliability, info wanted

fjd@imagen.UUCP (Fred Drinkwater) (12/17/87)

Saw some info in MicroCornucopia about bad reliability
of ST 251 drives, specifically that a significant
number seem to fail within three months.
Does anybody have further information or experience?

E-mail to me and I'll summarize for the net.

  Fred Drinkwater {decwrl,ucbvax}!imagen!fjd

Disclaimer: I am solely responsible for any statements
made in this posting.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/22/87)

I've run two ST251's for about a year. My local clone maker says he has
no more trouble with them than anything else. Most drives will die if
they don't get enough air for cooling, and half height drives are often
put in AT clones as a second drive without correct ventilation (this is
a *guess* based on what I've seen people do).
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (12/29/87)

In article <8287@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> [...] half height drives are often
> put in AT clones as a second drive without correct ventilation (this is
> a *guess* based on what I've seen people do).

This begs the question: how do you put a second drive in *with* correct
ventilation?
(staring at PC/AT with an ST4051 in the full-height slot and an ST251 in the
half height slot below B:)

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay