[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC and WordStar and HP LaserJet Series II

smq@ticnj.UUCP (Steven M. Queriolo) (01/03/88)

A good friend of mine has the following setup and can't get anything
to work correctly:

AT&T PC6300, MicroPro's WordStar, an HP LaserJet Series II with Z cartridge.

He would like to print text in Helvetica font as available on the Z cart.
The drivers that ar delivered with WordStar don't seem to be adequate to
do this.  MicroPro has been something short of helpful in this matter.
I have offered him the following solution:
   Trash WordStart and get Microsoft Word (4.0);  COnvert existing
   documents to Word using a conversion program (Something Bridge its
   called).
He doesn't mind doing this but has some investment in time/training
on WordStar.

Here are my questions:
   (1)  Is there anyway that WordStar can get those fonts?
   (2)  Will Word get the Z Cart fonts correctly?
   (3)  Does someone know the name of the program that converts these
	formats?
   (4)  Does someone sell/have/PD driver for WordStar that will get at
	the Helvetica Font?

Thanx for any help and mail me the response, unless it is of general
interest to the net.

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (01/04/88)

In article <256@ticnj.UUCP>, smq@ticnj.UUCP (Steven M. Queriolo) writes:
> A good friend of mine......
> ...would like to print text in Helvetica font as available on the Z cart.
> The drivers that ar delivered with WordStar don't seem to be adequate to
> do this.  MicroPro has been something short of helpful in this matter.

  Until WordPerfect added support for the Z cartridge, I used the "driver"
  for the HP 33411AC soft font set - which includes a superset of the Z
  cartridge Helvetica set.  The results were not perfect, but usable for
  most applications.

  By the way, the Z cartridge, which is the most useful of all the HP cart-
  ridges, is dubbed as "developed especially for use with Microsoft Word and
  Windows".  Thus, perhaps, its late and reluctant support by other WP's.

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny