[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What's a good price on an IBM Clone?

czei@cbdkc1.UUCP (12/28/87)

Too be totally honest, I really know nothing about clones, being
a Macintosh enthusiast.  (Please don't hold that against me)
Being unable to persuade my father-in-law to make his next computer
purchase a macintosh, I'm trying to make sure he doesn't get ripped
off again when he buys a PC clone.  (The last computer he bought
was an Epson, that WASN'T compatable with ANYTHING, because the
salesperson told him there was this REALLY great piece of software
that was ALMOST ready that would solve all his problems.  He's still
waiting).   Anyway, he's looking at an XT clone from a local
dealer for about ~$2500.  Sure, it includes a hard disk, modem, and
a monitor, but that doesn't seem like a great deal to me. The dealer
is even bundling some 'wonderful, integrated' software to do
'everything he needs'.  My father-in-law is an electronic parts
salesmen, by the way, but I doubt if software that is bundled with
a computer can be that great.   I already don't like the salesmen,
as when my father-in-law mentioned I had discussed mac's, the guy
said "you don't want to buy those- they're unreliable.  Why, they
freeze up on you at a moments notice.  You need a tried and true
design like the PC."

So, I don't want to argue about which computer is better, I'm just
trying to help someone who's been burnt before to steer clear of
the rip off's.  One of the big arguments I've heard for PC's is
that they're so cheap.  At $2500 I could get a Macplus, hard disk,
modem, and a monitor (ok, so it is small :-) ) for the same price,
so where's the bargain?  I suspect that the above quote is way
overpriced, and most clones are still a bargain compared to the
generally more expensive macs.

I'd appreciate any help finding a reputable mail order house,
or reasonable price ranges for AT or XT clones.

Thanks,

Michael S. Czeiszperger     | "HELP!  I'm stuck in 3B HELL !!!"
Contracted to AT&T          | Phone: (614) 860-4952  (formerly with Ohio
Unix Systems Administration | UUCP: cbosgd!dkc1!czei  State University)
6200 E. Broad Street        | Disclaimer: "The above opinions are those
Columbus, OH   RM 1L334     |   of a large rodent with sharp teeth"

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (12/29/87)

In article <2645@cbdkc1.ATT.COM> czei@cbdkc1.UUCP writes:
> Anyway, he's looking at an XT clone from a local
>dealer for about ~$2500.  Sure, it includes a hard disk, modem, and
>a monitor, but that doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

You're right, it's not.

Most of my mail order experience is with SF Micro of San Francisco. They're
pretty reliable, they give good service and they sell good equipment for not
lots of $$$$. They sell a line of AT clones made by Everex that a lot of
mail order houses sell. FTP Software has about 8 or 10 or maybe more, I've lost
count, of these things. We haven't had problems very often and when we have,
SF Micro has been pretty good about getting it fixed (once or twice they've
been a little pokey, but usually they're quite responsive).

They sell a PC/AT clone with .5MB of RAM, 1.2MB floppy disk and monochrome
monitor for roughly $1000. Add a 40MB hard disk for about $400. Add an internal
2400 baud modem for about $300. The basic computer will be a lot faster
than the XT you mentioned, too.

They also have quite a variety of display cards, monitors, hard disks, memory
boards, etc., so you can put together a more interesting system than the one
above if you want.

Unfortunately, I don't have their number here at home. I'll try to find it
tomorrow and post it.

Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of SF Micro by *FTP Software* (though
I personally think they're pretty good), and I have no association with
SF Micro other than as a happy customer.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey

vandys@hpindda.HP.COM (Andy Valencia) (12/30/87)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.ibm.pc / czei@cbdkc1.UUCP /  5:55 am  Dec 28, 1987 /
> ...he's looking at an XT clone from a local
> dealer for about ~$2500.  Sure, it includes a hard disk, modem, and
> a monitor, but that doesn't seem like a great deal to me.....
  It isn't, especially for an XT clone.  Unless it's a *humongous*
hard disk (say, 10 Mb :->).  You also don't mention whether it's color
or not, and within that, whether within that, it's EGA or CGA (or
autoswitch... and if it's a multi-scan monitor).  However, a good base-line
"123 engine" should run you about $1K.  This should include:

    "turbo" XT, 4.77/8 Mhz w. 640K and keyboard and 1 360k floppy drive ($400)
    20 Mb. Hard disk ($200)
    Monochrome monitor w. Hercules clone display card ($120)
    Parallel NLQ printer (printer port should be on display card) ($200)
    Modem card
	-- or --
    External 2400 baud modem w. COM1 card ($150)

  This adds up to $1070.  Buy out-of-state and save sales tax.  I'm pretty
sure I'm giving reasonable prices, albeit on the agressive side (but, hey,
if you're gonna shop....)  You'll pay more for things like fancy color and
laser printers and "hard cards".  I'm not sure this is what you're after,
so I didn't include them.
				Best of luck!
				Andy Valencia
				vandys%hpindda.UUCP@hplabs.hp.com

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bobmon) (12/30/87)

In article <2645@cbdkc1.ATT.COM> czei@cbdkc1.UUCP writes:

> [description of a salesman that would make McDonalds seem grease-free...]
>
>I'd appreciate any help finding a reputable mail order house,
>or reasonable price ranges for AT or XT clones.

Sounds like your first move should be to get Dad-in-law away from that store.
The price sounds poor, and the pitch sounded like pure PTBarnum ("There's a...
born every minute").  Suggestion: find a store that HAS some invoicing-type
software, or whatever Dad-in-law needs, and that is willing to let HIM play
with it on a machine in the store before any money comes out.  Another
suggestion:  if you/he goes with mail-order, consider who's gonna repair it,
install that nifty integrated software, figure out how to set up the hard-disk,
etc. etc.  Him?  You?  Mail-order is a Lot safer for people who already
know what they're doing (no offense; Macs and PCs aren't that similar.)

And now for a comment on prices:
There's a store in Indianapolis called SoftWarehouse, which may have a branch
in Columbus.  At any rate, I recently convinced a friend to take a (small)
chance on a system they were pushing, to wit:
	10MHz 8088 CPU
	30Meg Hard Drive, 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy
	EGA card, Samsung monitor
	1200bps modem
	640K
	package price: $2000 ($1995.95)

DISCLAIMER!:  I'm not recommending either the store or the machine especially,
but this suggests the kind of prices that can be found.  (For what it's worth,
the IUPUI purchasing agent was willing to deal with the store.)

pcl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Liu) (01/06/88)

Soft Warehouse of North Dallas claims to be the biggest PC hobby shop in Texas
and their price is anywhere from inexpensive to reasonably-priced.  Recently
they went national by entering mail order market.  I have seen their ads in
PC WEEK magazine.

Around New Year time frame, I have seen their ad which advertise SUNTEK XT-TURBO
for $299, ST225 w/ctrlr for $259, ST251 for $389, floppy disks for $4 a box,
mono/pp card for $39, mono monitor for $65, ...etc.  They do accept credit cards
with no surcharge.  A flat $5 shipping fee for orders under $500.  Also they got
lots of name brand software at a price that's hard to beat.  Their phone number
is (800)451-SOFT, if you hear busy tone, be patient and try again later.  The
only thing I dislike about them is their NO REFUND policy.

ihlpf!pcl