[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BASIC comparison requested

agv@j.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Murrell) (01/05/88)

I am considering the purchase of a BASIC compiler which does
not necessarily have to be compatible with GWBASIC or BASICA
in the small dollar range (ie. around $100 or less). The names
I came up with are TrueBASIC (True Basic, Inc.), MS QuickBASIC 4.0
(Microsoft) and TurboBASIC 1.0 (Borland).

If anyone has some fatherly advice concerning which of the above
is "top dog", I'd appreciate a line or two sent to the e-mail
addresses below. I realize that the question is loaded -- "best"
is highly application dependent -- but, we're interested in a
low dollar BASIC which is "serious" (supporting a healthy set
of structured language constructs, sane scope rules, and recursion),
which provides a good debugging and editing environment, and which
makes an attempt to gracefully support graphics (eg. common
transformations, windowing, viewports, clipping, etc.). Animation
may be attempted (on a crude level), so 8087 support and reasonable
execution speed are requisite.

A quick disclaimer is in order here: my apologies in advance if
this question has already been the subject of some prior net
discussion -- obviously I've missed it. If this is the case,
would some merciful soul provide me with a brief summary? Also,
I realize there are "better" languages (I defend C, lisp, and
prolog), but I'd like a nice BASIC to round out my collection.

-- Dave
ARPA: agv@s.cc.purdue.edu | USPS: Purdue University Computing Center
UUCP: cc.purdue.edu!agv   |       Math Sciences Building
BITNET: murrell@purccvm   |       West Lafayette, IN. 47906

tmy6405@acf3.NYU.EDU (Ted M. Young) (01/06/88)

Reply to: agv@j.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Murrell) /  2:32 pm  Jan  4, 1988

>I am considering the purchase of a BASIC compiler which does
>not necessarily have to be compatible with GWBASIC or BASICA
>in the small dollar range (ie. around $100 or less). The names
>I came up with are TrueBASIC (True Basic, Inc.), MS QuickBASIC 4.0
>(Microsoft) and TurboBASIC 1.0 (Borland).

I'd recommend QuickBASIC 4.0 without hesitation.  It's advantages (over others)
are many: Cheap (can be had for about $60 mail order), Powerful structures
(including a new "TYPE" similar to Records (pascal) or Struc (C)) and control
structures (do while, do loop, etc.), amazingly fast compliing (instantaneous
because it's an incremental compiler, it compiles your programs AS you type
them in), and it has a very fine debugger.  The speed is great (for BASIC) and
is compatible with the 80x87 math co-processors.  It can also be linked to
Microsoft's other Languages (C, Pascal, Fortran, MASM, etc.).

---> Ted  8->
    -----
tmy6405@acf3.nyu.edu or @acf5.nyu.edu
CompuServe: 76703,4343

From: eds9305@acf3.NYU.EDU (Eric Shafto)
Date: 5-Jan-88 23:47 EST
Subject: What did I kill???
Newsgroups: rec.games.moria

So here I am, 1,000 feet below the surface.  I'm a 18th level
Palladin whose first spell-book has been stolen.  I am out of
oil.  I have no scrolls of Word of Recall.

So here I am, wandering around in dark.

I kill something and pole-vault from 18th to 20th level.

What the heck did I kill??

While we are at it, do you think I should keep heading down in
hopes of finding oil, or should I try to hoof it back to the
surface?  I finally got create food, so I should be able to hold
out indefinitely, so long as I can occaisionally find a lit
room.

Regards,
Eric Shafto
eds9305@acf3.nyu.edu

From: tmy6405@acf3.NYU.EDU (Ted M. Young)
Date: 5-Jan-88 23:06 EST
Subject: Gary Hart & Today's Number
Newsgroups: rec.humor

   Well, with all the talk of Gary Hart and the number 69, I am revealing :)
   Gary Hart's new fundraiser...

      It's a Chinese Cookbook called "69 Ways To Eat Rice"

			-- Ted   8->

tmy6405@acf3.nyu.edu
tmy6405@acf5.nyu.edu