[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help with arc

kuehn@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeffery A. Kuehn) (01/05/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: help with arc
In article <1839@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>> Can some kind soul mail
>> me the latest and greatest arc ??? has anyone else had this problem ????
>>
>> ...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)
>
>Me too please.  I don't have ANY version of arc.
>
>..hplabs!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

I too would appreciate it if someone could mail me a uuencoded version
of any ARC out there since I don't have any version of the program.

BTW, I'm somewhat new at all of this, are there any other programs which
would be helpful for downloading software from the net?  And finally, our
'ftp' doesn't recognize the alpha address SIMTEL20.ARPA do any of you know
the numeric address (ex. 128.138.240.22) for the ibm source archives?

thanks in advance,
Jeff Kuehn
kuehn@boulder.Colorado.EDU
Deptartment of Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado, Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Debugger) (01/05/88)

For those of you who need versions of ARC, I have both ARC-E version 3.1b
(the extracting utility) and ARC 5.2.1 (the complete archive utility) from
System Enhancement Associates. If you would like either of these, please
send E-mail. If enough responses arrive, I will post them to the net.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu   -   boneill@hawk.UUCP

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/06/88)

Sometimes pkxarc is required to extract the files.  Even the newest
version of arc won't work if certain non-standard features of
pkarc are used to encode the file.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Debugger) (01/07/88)

In article <16800174@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>Sometimes pkxarc is required to extract the files.  Even the newest
>version of arc won't work if certain non-standard features of
>pkarc are used to encode the file.
>
>			Mike Berger

I have found that ARC-E extracts all the archives I've tried it on, and with
corrupted archives, ARC-E simply stops whereas PKXARC crashes my system.