[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any out there have Venix?

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (01/06/88)

Any body out there remember Venix/86? A friend of mine who had a copy
wasn't using it any more, so he sold it to me. It is version 2.0 and
came out when XT's only had 10MB drives. I've been playing with the
partition table on the hard disk some in the hope that Venix will
see all of my 20MB disk. If any body out there has had an experiences
with Vneix, I'd like to correspond with you electronically in order
to gain some more knowledge. As a side note - don't be afraid to get
technical is any message you send to me, I do UNIX for a living.
(I manage a VAX8600 and 19 SUN3s)

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (01/07/88)

In article <5462@eecae.UUCP> lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
>Any body out there remember Venix/86? A friend of mine who had a copy
>wasn't using it any more, so he sold it to me. It is version 2.0 and
>came out when XT's only had 10MB drives. I've been playing with the
>partition table on the hard disk some in the hope that Venix will
>see all of my 20MB disk. If any body out there has had an experiences
>with Vneix, I'd like to correspond with you electronically in order
>to gain some more knowledge. As a side note - don't be afraid to get
>technical is any message you send to me, I do UNIX for a living.
>(I manage a VAX8600 and 19 SUN3s)
>
>--
>j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
>"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

   All VENIX/86 fans...

   OK, you may dislike the DEC Rainbow, but Larry Campbell and The Boston
   Software Works took over the distribution rights to the VENIX/Rainbow
   version from VenturCom and since then Enhanced VENIX/Rainbow V2.0 has
   appeared with a wealth of great features.  Some of the features include
   disk support up to 71mb for the Rainbow as well as improved terminal
   handling and virtual consoles!   Other features include a whole slew of
   UNIX utilites, a spreadsheet, uucp software, and graphics software.

   Contact him at the address below and, while your machine may not be a
   Rainbow, he may be able to help you out a bit or point you at he people
   or resources that you need.  He could, of course, not want to help since
   I haven't asked him about this.

   Larry will probably upset if he gets flooded with VENIX questions.
   However, since this is the first VENIX question I have seen posted in
   a long time, I don't think he'll mind that much.  Tell him I sent you
   so he can call and yell at me.  This is sort of "free advertising" and
   I have no connection with him other than a couple of e-mails.

   You may want to purchase a used Rainbow at good price and get VENIX/
   Rainbow and use you PC as a terminal.  I reviewed the Rainbow
   version for The DEC MicroLetter and I had 4 virtual consoles running
   with a remote terminal running at 9600 baud!  5 Simultaneous users.
   Also, note that the !maynard node in the net address below is a
   DEC Rainbow running VENIX with uucp software on a 71mb system with 896K
   RAM.

   Contact:

   Larry Campbell
   The Boston Software Works, Inc.
   120 Fulton Street, Boston, MA, 02109
   1-617-367-6846
   Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com
   uucp: {husc6,mirror,think}!maynard!campbell

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.