[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ECHOMARK:0FDD

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/07/88)

From Usenet: watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
From: haapanen@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen)
Subject: Producing bar codes on a PC
Date: 16 Nov 87 04:53:50 GMT

A friend (not on the net) wishes to produce bar codes on his PC for
the new Harmonized System of customs clearance.  He apparently needs
to produce five stickers for each unique 13-digit (?) number.

I believe that either of a laser printer or a dot matrix is capable of
such output, with the latter also being capable of doing labels.
However, what is missing is the software to drive the printer.  Does
anyone know of *anything* that produces barcodes?  Crude or fancy,
please tell me about it.

Alternately, I suppose I could grind out some code for him --- in this
case, would anyone know of a good reference on how bar codes work?
Ie, the encoding, the standards, etc.

Thanks for any help --- please respond by mail.  I will summarize if
there is much interest.

					\tom haapanen
					...!watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

--- via UGate v1.6