[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding a HD? 135W enough?

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/07/88)

From Usenet: watmath!codas!karthur
From: karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Adding a HD? 135W enough?
Date: 8 Jan 88 14:57:16 GMT

In article <661@mtuxj.UUCP> tek1@mtuxj.UUCP (Thomas E. Kenny) writes:

> I have a friend with a Blue Chip PC that wants to add a hard drive.
> The HD is a CMI and her power supply is only 135 watts. I was wondering if
> that is enough wattage or will she have to replace the power supply and to
> what. There is nothing fancy on the system it would just be the monitor,
> keyboard, one floppy and a 20M CMI HD (slow), as well as a serial & parrell
> port. Any info would be appreciate, thanks!

Well, the original PC had only a 63 watt ps, so I think 135 would be
adequate,
but to be on the safe side, she should probably think seriously about one of
the better-brand hardcards (Plus, Mountain, etc).   These all draw < 20
watts,
are easier to install, and let her keep her old HD.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

--- via UGate v1.6
 * Origin: watmath (221/163)