[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSC 5.0 CVPACK Program

src@cup.portal.com (01/06/88)

The MSC 5.0 disks include a program called CVPACK.  I haven't been able
to find any documentation on this program.  Does anyone know what it
does?  Is it documented???

By my own experiments, it appears to pack CodeView debug information.
Apparently, the debug information is packed and then appended to the
end of the .EXE file.  If the "-p" command line option is specified,
the original debug info is truncated from the .EXE before appending
the packed info, thereby making the .EXE file smaller.

On the one small program I tested this on, the debug information was
reduced from 1200 bytes to about 170 bytes.  Quite a change.  And the
program still ran fine under CodeView.

Anybody else have more information about this program?

Steve Calwas                            src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                         ...!sun!cup.portal.com!src

roth@mrsvr.UUCP (Dean Roth) (01/07/88)

In article <2302@cup.portal.com>, src@cup.portal.com writes:

> The MSC 5.0 disks include a program called CVPACK.  I haven't been able
> to find any documentation on this program.  Does anyone know what it
> does?  Is it documented???

Look at the (many) README files! A lot of additions and changes are
in those files, including CVPACK.EXE documentation.

=======================

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/07/88)

From Usenet: tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!chane
From: chane@mntgfx.mentor.com (Chane Cullens)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: MSC 5.0 CVPACK Program
Date: 7 Jan 88 18:03:10 GMT

in article <2302@cup.portal.com>, src@cup.portal.com says:
> XPortal-User-Id: 1.1001.2548
>

> The MSC 5.0 disks include a program called CVPACK.  I haven't been able
> to find any documentation on this program.  Does anyone know what it
> does?  Is it documented???

There are at least 3 "readme" files on the MSC 5.0 disks, with various
names.  One of these readme files contains info on CVPACK.  I believe
you have figured it out already.
--
Chane Cullens

Mentor Graphics Corporation