[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 and the 80286

robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) (01/06/88)

-

     I am about to buy an 80286 machine but have come across a number of
conflicting claims about the prowess of machines based on that chip.  I had
gathered that an 80386 processor was required to run OS/2, and a number of
salespeople I have asked are of the same understanding.  Yet Tandy -in
several brochures- advertises its 3000HL and its "enhanced" 3000 (both 80286
machines) as "OS/2 ready".  Does this mean that there are two kinds of 80286
machines (with different architecture/options??), one which will run OS/2 and
one which will not?  How can one tell, short of trying to run OS/2?  Can an
80286 non-compatible be upgraded to run OS/2?

(My apologies for asking what I'm sure is a facile question for hardware
gurus, but my knowledge of computer architecture ends at stuffing slots,
nudging ROM sockets and soldering the occasional resistor on my 8088.)

Rob
rpitt@mun.bitnet                    or            R. D. Pitt
robert4@garfield.uucp                             Dept. of English
robert4@garfield.mun.cdn                          Memorial University
rpitt@kean.mun.cdn                                St. John's, Newfoundland
70721,320 on CIS                                  Canada           A1B 2B4

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (01/07/88)

From article <4347@garfield.UUCP>, by robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt):
>      I am about to buy an 80286 machine but have come across a number of
> conflicting claims about the prowess of machines based on that chip.  I had
> gathered that an 80386 processor was required to run OS/2, and a number of
> salespeople I have asked are of the same understanding.  Yet Tandy -in
> several brochures- advertises its 3000HL and its "enhanced" 3000 (both 80286
> machines) as "OS/2 ready".  Does this mean that there are two kinds of 80286
> machines (with different architecture/options??), one which will run OS/2 and
> one which will not?  How can one tell, short of trying to run OS/2?  Can an
> 80286 non-compatible be upgraded to run OS/2?

IBM, in its infinite wisdom :-), decided that since the PS/2 50 & 60 were
going to be the mainstays of their new line, and given the base of AT's
in the field, that OS/2 should be written for the '286.  There is NO 386-
specific version of OS/2 available or publicly planned, to my knowledge.

						Bob Halloran
Classic UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh	DDD: (201)251-7514
Domain-style: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM			       evenings ET
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: These opinions are solely MINE; any correlation with AT&T
	policies or positions is coincidental and unintentional.
Quote: "There were incidents & accidents, there were hints & allegations"
		-- Paul Simon

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/07/88)

In article <4347@garfield.UUCP> robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) writes:

>      I am about to buy an 80286 machine but have come across a number of
> conflicting claims about the prowess of machines based on that chip.  I had
> gathered that an 80386 processor was required to run OS/2, and a number of
> salespeople I have asked are of the same understanding.  Yet Tandy -in
> several brochures- advertises its 3000HL and its "enhanced" 3000 (both 80286
> machines) as "OS/2 ready".  Does this mean that there are two kinds of 80286
> machines (with different architecture/options??), one which will run OS/2 and
> one which will not?  How can one tell, short of trying to run OS/2?  Can an
> 80286 non-compatible be upgraded to run OS/2?

The information I have, gleaned from several different sources is:

	1. OS/2 is an 80286 operating system.  It does not support
	   80386 in native mode.  This means the 80386 will just
	   emulate the 80286 under OS/2 (and be faster), but the op-
	   erating system will not be able to take advantage of the
	   80386's advancements.  A version of OS/2 that supports
	   the 80386 is not due until 1990 or so.

	2. All 80286 _CHIPS_ are able to run OS/2. It is up to each
	   manufacturer, however to perform the modifications nec-
	   essary to make an OS/2 flavor run on their machine.  At
	   least in theory, this means Compaq OS/2 may not work on
	   IBM hardware, etc.  MS-DOS uses this theory too, but as
	   we know, though, in practice, each DOS is almost identical

	3. There are three kinds of 80286 machines, one far more
	   common than the other two:

		The first kind is the old familiar AT and
		its clones. It supports 16 bit data paths,
		and a few other advanced wrinkles.  This
		kind of machine will run OS/2 (provided of
		course someone customizes a version of the
		operating system for it).

		The second kind, which is relatively unknown,
		is the XT compatible that uses an 80286.  Off-
		hand, the only 2 machines I know of that use
		an 80286 in an XT compatible are an ITT Xtra
		and one of the new Tandy 1000's (TX, maybe?).
		These machines are the standard XT with an
		80286 in place of the 8088, 8086 or V20. This
		species of PC will never run OS/2 without the
		addition of a 80286 or 80386 accelerator board
		that supports OS/2 (like a Microsoft Mach-20).

		The third kind is the infamous IBM XT-286. This
		machine is really an AT-clone in an XT box. An
		XT-286 will run IBM's OS/2.

A lot of the industry confusion about OS/2 is caused by 2 different reasons,
one admirable, the other understandable:

	1. When the original AT was released, IBM promised those purchasers
	   they would receive an operating system tailored for the machine.
	   This lack of 'orphaning' for the users who bought early is
	   laudable and evidence of one more reason IBM is the best-selling
	   computer company:  they don't abandon people.  IBM has taken a
	   LOT of heat from the press for not skipping the 80286 and just
	   writing OS/2 for the 80386, but a promise made is a promise
	   kept (another example of the non-orphaning is the DOS compa-
	   tibility box: I heard the coding of the box took more time than
	   all of the rest of the operating system combined, and delayed
	   release of OS/2 by 1.5 years).

	2. IBM tied the announcement of OS/2 to the announcement of the PS/2
	   series of computers.  This 'linking' of concepts with similar
	   names, announcements, etc. serves to confuse the market, which
	   parlays directly into IBM sales.  IBM wanted to create the
	   illusion that OS/2 is tied to the PS/2 (thereby racking up
	   sales that might go to clones).

Sorry if this message is too long, but I did want to set the record straight.
I'm sure I'll take flames for actually complimenting IBM above (grin)!

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

hundt@sandolphon.bellcore.com (Tom Hundt) (01/07/88)

>gathered that an 80386 processor was required to run OS/2, and a number of
>salespeople I have asked are of the same understanding.  Yet Tandy -in

NO!  A 286 is sufficient!  (Windows-386 on the other hand...)

>several brochures- advertises its 3000HL and its "enhanced" 3000 (both 80286
>machines) as "OS/2 ready".  Does this mean that there are two kinds of 80286
>machines (with different architecture/options??), one which will run OS/2 and

That's exactly what IBM *wants* you to think -- namely, that to run OS/2
you need PS/2 or at least the microchannel bus -- which is *false*.

Now, what I'm waiting for is another round of BIOS compatibility problems
when the "real" OS/2 comes around...  I hope it doesn't happen!

[regular .signature unavailable due to crashed disk]
hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com
ihnp4!bellcore!hundt

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (01/07/88)

In article <4347@garfield.UUCP> robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) writes:
>     I am about to buy an 80286 machine but have come across a number of
>conflicting claims about the prowess of machines based on that chip.  I had
>gathered that an 80386 processor was required to run OS/2, and a number of
>salespeople I have asked are of the same understanding.  ...

OS/2 runs on 286 machines. You can run it on a 386, but it'll treat the 386 as
a fast 286 and will not take advantage of any of the 386's new features such
as virtual 86 mode. (I was at the April announcement in Miami and IBM and
their MS friends were quite clear about that. Maybe some day there will be
OS/3, but don't hold your breath.)

Like MS-DOS, OS/2 needs to be customized to the hardware of the machine on
which it is running. IBM sells a version of OS/2 customized for ATs, XT-286s,
and PS/2s. Other vendors such as Compaq and Tandy sell versions customized for
their machines. Like PC-DOS, IBM OS/2 may well run on an IBM machine if it is
similar enough to one of the supported IBM machines.

If this sounds like a morass, that's because it is.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (01/07/88)

In article <4675@bellcore.bellcore.com> hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com writes:
>That's exactly what IBM *wants* you to think -- namely, that to run OS/2
>you need PS/2 or at least the microchannel bus -- which is *false*.

Please.  The original product announcements from IBM clearly stated that
OS/2 would run on ANY of their '286 products, specifically including the
AT.  It is clear that the possibility exists to make a multitasking
operating system execute with higher efficiency on the microchannel,
but that is a different issue.  You can take anti-IBM paranoia much
too far, and far too many people do.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/07/88)

From Usenet: seismo!uunet!wa3wbu!john
From: john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: OS/2 and the 80286
Date: 7 Jan 88 22:35:32 GMT

In article <4347@garfield.UUCP>, robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) writes:

> one which will not?  How can one tell, short of trying to run OS/2?  Can an
> 80286 non-compatible be upgraded to run OS/2?

     From what I just read in this weeks "Info World" if you choose to
beleive it is: Version 1.0 of IBM's OS2 will only run on true-blue
IBM. (I find this hard to beleive)  They also said that Microsoft will
not be selling OS2 retail but will be contracting to release machine-
specific version for various vendors. They mentioned that users will not
have the luxury of carrying a generic version from machine-to-machine
and have it work and also cationed users to be sure they are buying a
version of OS2 that will run on their machines.

    I am just relaying more or less what was in Info-World. I have noticed
a lot of conflicting stories lately. I like the one, it was reported that
with version 1.0, after you run 4-5 concurrent directories, theres not
a lot you can do with it from a user-standpoint. :-)

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

--- via UGate v1.6
 * Origin: watmath (221/163)

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/08/88)

In article <4347@garfield.UUCP>, robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) writes:

> one which will not?  How can one tell, short of trying to run OS/2?  Can an
> 80286 non-compatible be upgraded to run OS/2?

     From what I just read in this weeks "Info World" if you choose to