[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Missing option in Turbo C

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/09/88)

From Usenet: cornell!rochester!ritcv!mds7958
From: mds7958@ritcv.UUCP (Mark Sicignano)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Missing option in Turbo C
Date: 9 Jan 88 14:16:31 GMT

In article <5131@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay)
writes:
>I just added a 80287 to my AT clone.  The Turbo C programs seemed to
>speed up, but I wanted to measure the exact amount that they sped up.
>However, with Turbo C there seems no way to disable the use of the
>80287 if one is installed.
>
>Tim

Try reading page 280-282 of the TC users guide.  It
explains the use of the 87 environment variable.  You can
issue a SET 87=N or SET 87=Y to override automatic
detection of the 8087.

-mark

--- via UGate v1.6
 * Origin: watmath (221/163)

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (01/09/88)

mds7958@ritcv.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) (01/09/88)

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (01/10/88)

In article <5131@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>I just added a 80287 to my AT clone.  The Turbo C programs seemed to
>speed up, but I wanted to measure the exact amount that they sped up.
>However, with Turbo C there seems no way to disable the use of the
>80287 if one is installed.
>
>Tim

	Just link at the command line, following the instructions in the
appendix.  You have a choice of either linking in the emu or fp87 libraries,
emu giving you software floating point emulation, fp87 giving you '87
support, and nothing giving your no floating point support.

                                                  /
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl