[comp.sys.ibm.pc] standing AT computers on end

bob@imsvax.UUCP (Bob Burch) (12/26/87)

Several people have inquired about this possibility and about possible
damage to disk drives.  The worse damage will be to controller cards,
since the machine's flow of air for cooling purposes will no longer
work properly, the heat rising from one to the other.  I've seen a
couple of ATs cooked this way and don't recommend it.

Ted Holden
HT Enterprises.

mxb@pyuxf.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (12/30/87)

In article <780@imsvax.UUCP>, bob@imsvax.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:

> ... I've seen a couple of ATs cooked this way and don't recommend it.

	I have a model 339 IBM AT since August 86.  It has been on its side
since day one.  I used to run it 18 hours a day but since August 87 it has been
running 24 hours a day.  It is situated in a room in NYC which is NOT air
conditioned.  The daily temperature during the summer in the room was well into
the eighties.  It also has a couple of optional boards in it (Intel Above/Boards
with 4 meg in 2 boards and an extra port card).

	The machine has never crashed (except when MY fault).
The bottom line is that from my experience it is safe to keep on its side.
(BTW, I run Xenix on it which is almost always doing something so the machine
is not idle!).

--
Michael Brochstein                             Currently at Bellcore/PY4-B222
(201) 699-7177-work                                            Piscataway, NJ

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (01/01/88)

Regarding standing AT-type computers on their sides, next to your desk:
it is worth noting that IBM themselves sold a stand for doing exactly
this.  I would think that if they don't think there's likely to be a
problem with it, there's not much problem doing it.  Personally, I've
had an old-style PC, fully loaded, running on its side for more than
three years, with nary a problem.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan Joshua) (01/02/88)

	Can anyone actually tell me that the keep their AT on a desk.
Unless you have one in a small case there is no way to get a 40 pound
AT on a normal size work area. Standing the thing on end next to the
desk is the only way for me. I havn't the foggiest idea why the case
is so large. I think that I could add 2 hard drives and 6 more cards.
--
|o|   Jonathan Joshua   jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu   Rutgers - Since 1766    |o|
|o|                                                                         |o|

Jerry_Grynspan@ankh.UUCP (Jerry Grynspan) (01/03/88)

I have been told that although there is no problem with either standing
on end or running in a conventional position, You should backup the
drive before changing .he orientation and low level format after the
change. After low level format reinstall your software. This is due
to possibility (primarily on older machines of stepper band HDs which
will not track quite identically and may foul up disk format). Either
position is fine, just be careful when changing. I have never done
this switch myself so this is not the voice of experience. Just repeating
what I have heard, and it sounds reasonable.

---
 * Origin: Eye of Osiris [305-973-1947] ankh.UUCP or (Opus 1:369/6)
SEEN-BY: 369/6 17

sld@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Steven Louis Davis) (01/04/88)

In article <0.21DECDF9@ankh.UUCP> Jerry_Grynspan@ankh.UUCP (Jerry Grynspan) writes:
>I have been told that although there is no problem with either standing
>on end or running in a conventional position, You should backup the
>drive before changing .he orientation and low level format after the
>change. After low level format reinstall your software. This is due
>to possibility (primarily on older machines of stepper band HDs which
>will not track quite identically and may foul up disk format). Either
>position is fine, just be careful when changing. I have never done
>this switch myself so this is not the voice of experience. Just repeating
>what I have heard, and it sounds reasonable.

After following this discussion, I have come to believe that it must depend on
the drive being used.  I have an AT with a (gasp CMI) 32MB drive which I first
kept on a table top.  While there I kicked the table, moved it around (while
the machine tap danced), and nothing happened except that I realized that I
would prefer the unit on the floor.  So I put it there where it's been happy
ever since.  From time to time I open up the case which requires that I put it
level (still on the floor) and I play with the diagnostics and run progams from
the hard drive (while level) and I have *never* had *any* trouble with my hard
drive.
I am certainly not suggesting the abandonment of good backup practices as
outlined above, but maybe one should just get ones hands on a good drive and
kick back; after all, life's too short.

Steven L. Davis                     telephone: (904) 392 0276 & (904) 371 7041
                                    Internet:  sld@beach.cis.ufl.edu
                                    uucp:      ..!ihnp4!codas!ufcsv!ufcsg!sld

ajohnson@killer.UUCP (Andy Johnson) (01/11/88)

I work every day with computers made by SBE, Inc.  We have over 70
of these systems out in the field that run 24 hours per day, 7 days
per week.

They all have one thing in common... their hard drives are on their sides.
We have never had a failure in almost 2 years because of this strange
orientation.

Also, a friend of mine has run his AT for 2 years on its side.  One thing
he mentioned is that if you do want to run it on its side, it it a good idea
to format the drive that way.