[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accessing SIMTEL20

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) (12/13/87)

I found out that you can't access SIMTEL20 from UUCP and BITNET.  The
reasons which I got stated that there was too much congestion on the
networks so they shut the thing down.  It can be accessed by FTP though.

Thanks to all you people out there who responded to my original inquiry.

Thanks... Karl

Karl Kingston

UUCP:  ..!rochester!ritcv!kfk9673
BITNET:  KFK9673@RITVAX

asf@sbcs (Alan S. Fink) (12/14/87)

In article <19@ritcv.UUCP> kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) writes:
>I found out that you can't access SIMTEL20 from UUCP and BITNET.  The
>reasons which I got stated that there was too much congestion on the
>networks so they shut the thing down.  It can be accessed by FTP though.
>
>Thanks to all you people out there who responded to my original inquiry.
>
>Thanks... Karl

While we're on the subject... much to my delight, I am finally able to
connect to SIMTEL20 via ftp.  Now the problem:  What is the proper user
name and password to actually get onto the system?  Simply connecting
doesn't do me a whole lot of good!   Sigh....

Thanks is advance,
Alan

--
Alan S. Fink
UUCP:  {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!asf

boneill@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Debugger) (12/18/87)

In article <896@sbcs.UUCP> asf@sbcs.UUCP (Alan S. Fink) writes:

>While we're on the subject... much to my delight, I am finally able to
>connect to SIMTEL20 via ftp.  Now the problem:  What is the proper user
>name and password to actually get onto the system?  Simply connecting
>doesn't do me a whole lot of good!   Sigh....
>
>Thanks is advance,
>Alan
>
>--
>Alan S. Fink
>UUCP:  {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!asf
>ARPA:  asf%sunysb.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
>CSNET: asf@sunysb.edu

When it asks for a user name, type 'anonymous'. It will take that and tell
you to use your real ID as a password. Type your system name for this.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu

"There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute."
				Captain Jean-Luc Picard - ST:TNG "Justice"

zinzow@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/19/87)

I've recently seen a note that someone is setting up a file gateway
that has a bitnet listserver that ftp's files from simtel20 and forwards
them on bitnet.  I think it was LISTSERV at RPICICGE but I don't know
how it works yet.

emb978@leah.Albany.Edu ( Eric M. Boehm) (12/20/87)

Sender:       Public domain software servers <PCSERV-L@RPICICGE>
From:         "John S. Fisher" <FISHER@RPICICGE>
Subject:      This is what I have...

One of my original justifications for starting this list was to encourage
sharing ideas, approaches, and software for main-frame support of micro-
computer software and bulletin-board systems.  The ARCUTIL and PDUTIL
programs are examples of software I use with the public-domain software
file server running here.

I am curious as to what other people might be doing.  Are any of you
managing file servers and/or BBS you'd be willing to describe to this
list?  (I know of one person already looking to clone someone else's
BBS, if he can only find one.)

As I stated, above, I run a file server.  It is actually an interface
to access the SIMTEL20.ARPA collection from Bitnet.  (SIMTEL20 shutdown
its mail-based file server about the same time my host joined the
Internet.)  I use LISTSERV to receive the requests for files from the
SIMTEL20 archives, and I have a service machine that actually fetches
files via FTP and manages a local cache.

Files can be sent to the requestor in netdata, punch, or mail format.
Files can be sent as-is (meaning binary image), uuencoded, or translated
to EBCDIC (assuming the original is an ASCII text file).

The only(?) ugly thing about the server is that since it is playing
"front-end" for SIMTEL20, it is obligated to suppprt the SIMTEL20 file
naming scheme.  A typical request to my server would look something
like this:

      /PDGET PD:<CPM.ARC-LBR>UNARC16.ARK  ( UUENCODE

Users can also get directory listings with something like:

      /PDDIR PD:<CPM>ZCPR*.*

(An earlier version of the server was entirely LISTSERV-based and
was not able to fetch new versions of things over the Internet.  It
had a static copy of the entire CP/M software archive online, which
quickly went out-of-date.  But for compatibility with SIMTEL20,
it used exactly the same style of names.)

dmnhieu@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Duy-Minh NHIEU) (01/12/88)

   Hi, is there anyone out there knows how to access SIMTEL20 (via email) ?

   I am here in Waterloo an we are not connected to Apranet, so I can't just

   FTP.  Please help if you can.