[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for Mac-like graphics editor

robert@setting.weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (12/19/87)

I'm looking for an editor for the PC that has a feature common to
MacDraw and Interleaf's OPS/WPS/TPS packages.  These packages
maintain the identity of things like lines, polygons, and ovals so
you can re-size them, re-shade them, or move them in front of or
behind other objects.  The PC editors I've seen, like PC-Paint and
Dr. Halo, don't allow this at all: once you create an object, it
loses its identity and becomes just another bunch of bits on bitmap.

	-- Robert Plamondon

--

    Robert Plamondon
    UUCP: {pyramid,cae780}!weitek!robert

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/19/87)

GEM Draw+ is an object editor for the IBM PC much like MacDraw.  I can't comment
too much on its relative merits compared to Mac software, but it seemed to
do the job for me.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Samuel P. Moore) (12/20/87)

In article <482@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>GEM Draw+ is an object editor for the IBM PC much like MacDraw.  I can't comment
>too much on its relative merits compared to Mac software, but it seemed to
>do the job for me.
>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer@harvard.harvard.edu
>dyer@spdcc.COM aka {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

Steve:

Is it public domain? If so where can I get it?  FTP?

Sam Moore
sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

herb@hpindda.HP.COM (Herb Gellis) (12/22/87)

GEM DRAW+ is NOT public domain, it is from Digital Research like all of the
other GEM products.

P.S. "Paint" programs are basically bit-mapped graphics, once you paint it
all the program knows are the bits. "Draw" programs are "vector" graphics
that remembers the shapes, hence you can click on them, resize them, etc.
There are lots of paint and draw programs - look for the ones that are
called "draw". I can't remember if there are any P.D. draw programs; another
non-public domain draw program is HP's "drawing gallery" (pardon the
commercial, note where I work!) - it ain't cheap though.

dambrose@drivax.UUCP (David Ambrose) (12/24/87)

In article <578@setting.weitek.UUCP> robert@setting.weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) writes:
>I'm looking for an editor for the PC that has a feature common to
>MacDraw and Interleaf's OPS/WPS/TPS packages.  These packages
>maintain the identity of things like lines, polygons, and ovals so
>you can re-size them, re-shade them, or move them in front of or
>behind other objects.
>
>	-- Robert Plamondon

	Check out GEM Draw.  It is object oriented and will do what
you're looking for.  I think it retails for about $150 and handles most
popular screens and output devices.

David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc         ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose
DISCLAIMER: Don't blame DRI.  They wouldn't approve of this anyway. r}ix
NO CARRIER

kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) (01/13/88)

I haven't tried Digital Research's product but I have tried two other packages.

The first is HP Drawing Gallery - does a reasonable job at circles, ovals,
shading etc. - but I stopped using it when I discovered another package
called IN*A*VISION by Micrografx.  IN*A*VISION has an interface that clones
the MAC look and feel, it supports EGA, CGA, and Hercules adaptors and uses
the MS Windows environment (although it will work just fine if you do not
own a copy of MS Windows).  It out-performs Drawing Gallery by at least 5:1.

The above opinion is strictly my own - I have no affiliation with Micrografx.

To be completely fair I must admit that my opinion of Drawing Gallery is
based on version 1.0 - I understand 2.0 was recently released.

Kevin Owen @ HP Cupertino, CA

...hplabs!hpccc!kevino