[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Removing command.com

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (01/07/88)

I have an application which requires as much memory as it can get
its hands on (640K machine. Not possible to use EMS) which also
using MSC's (5.0) system call to run things from within the program.

Two questions:

1) Command.com has two parts (according to the DOS Tech Ref Manual),
   a resident part and a portion which can be overwritten by an application.
   I assume this is what things like Turbo Pascal do that require that
   they can find Command.com when exiting.

   How do you get your application to use this extra memory.

2) Dos anyone have sort of a "micro shell" to use in place of
   command.com but would still have enough funtionality to
   do limited batch files?

   Something that would get rid of things like:
      time,date,copy and other fluff that is not needed to
      execute programs.

Matt Singer

lenoil@apple.UUCP (Robert Lenoil) (01/13/88)

In article <846@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>I have an application which requires as much memory as it can get
>its hands on (640K machine. Not possible to use EMS) which also
>using MSC's (5.0) system call to run things from within the program.

Your problem is using the system() function; it works by spawning a copy of
command.com, passing it the command line you give.  You'll save the memory
that command.com takes up by bypassing system() and directly using the spawn()
family of functions.

Robert Lenoil