[comp.sys.ibm.pc] T1200

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (01/16/88)

In article <1566@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
>In article <3413@mcdchg.UUCP> heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>> Dana Freiburger (freiburg@pioneer.UUCP) writes:
>>> [T1200 battery lasts 2-3 hours]
>>
>> I was just looking at the data sheet on the T1200 and it says that
>> the battery is good for 7 hours.  I'm planning on buying a laptop this
>> spring/summer in the T1200 capability range, but battery life is
>> important to me.  I'd like something at least 5 hours.  2-3 is a bit
>> short for what I have in mind...
>>
>> Also, is there a car adapter for the T1200?  The sheet
>> I have doesn't mention one.
>
>If you turn off the backlighting, and never access the disk you will probably
		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
		     You must be speaking in general. T1200 has no backlight.

The T1200 has several things that affect battery life:

	- hard RAM disk enabled (saves RAM disk while system is off)
	- internal modem on
	- hard disk on (has a separate switch. If you are desperate for long
		battery life, you can load up into RAM + EMS RAM disk, then
		turn off the HD for the duration).
	- disk usage (floppy and hard)

If all of these things are 'off', you'd probably get much more than 7 hours
of time. 2-3 hours is pretty much a minimum, with rather heavy use of all
features.

If you need 5+ hours, just get a spare battery pack. Toshiba didn't put all
those batteries inside, because most people don't need the extra time, and
it would make the machine heavier for everyone! (Batteries are one of the
heaviest things in a laptop)

There is no car adapter offered by Toshiba for the T1200. However, I don't
think one is needed: it runs directly on 12 volts, so any Radio Shack
cigarette lighter adapter would work just fine. Much more generic and cheaper
than an 'official' adapter. I'm glad they switched to 12 Volts!

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014