[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Novell Backups

merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) (01/13/88)

Does anyone know of a way to back-up an entire Novell network (logins and
directory permissions included) onto tape?  I'm looking for an entirely
painless and very easy means of doing this (ie, put in a tape, press a
button, wait 20 minutes, there's your backup.)
---
"Don' wanna see you again tonight..."    Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)

P.S. -- By the way, anyone heard any good rumour mongering on Novell's
        networking products for the Macintosh?

gof@crash.cts.com (Jerry Fountain) (01/15/88)

In article <7916@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to back-up an entire Novell network (logins and
>directory permissions included) onto tape?  I'm looking for an entirely
>painless and very easy means of doing this (ie, put in a tape, press a
>button, wait 20 minutes, there's your backup.)
>---
>"Don' wanna see you again tonight..."    Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
>

>P.S. -- By the way, anyone heard any good rumour mongering on Novell's
>        networking products for the Macintosh?

All you really need is a tape system that knows how to deal with Novell's
"special files."  We are currently using an Emerald 60 Meg tape system
with their ASP software.  I have gone through several backup/restore sessions
and it works fine.  The only thing I noticed that it did not retain was the
file owner attribute (it was changed to whomever did the restore).  The only
catch is that the person backing the system up must have SUPERVISOR privleges
in order to back up the logins/permissions.  All in all I am very satisfied.
Emerald is located in San Diego and the 60M unit runs about $2K.  You may
also want to look at their VAST backup system which has a 2Gig capacity if
your network storage is very large.

Usual disclamers.  Just a satisfied customer, not a share holder.