[comp.sys.ibm.pc] file sorting

ammons@cod.NOSC.MIL (Tempest P. Ammons) (01/15/88)

I need a DOS file sort utility that will sort large files (on the order
of about 30Mbytes).  Does anyone know of such a product?

Thanks.
Pat

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (01/17/88)

In <949@cod.NOSC.MIL> ammons@cod.NOSC.MIL (Tempest P. Ammons) writes:
>I need a DOS file sort utility that will sort large files (on the order
>of about 30Mbytes).  Does anyone know of such a product?

Keep in mind that most sort programs require that the same amount of
space taken up by the file be available for work space.  Some require
twice the free space as the size of the unsorted file.  Since DOS has
a 32M limit per drive, you may have a heckuva problem here.  If you
find a sort that will let you specify a drive/directory for work files,
and you have an empty 30M drive to use for work space, you may be able
to use on of the more space-efficient sorts.

Sorry I can't offer a solution, but I hope this helps in some way.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu