[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need info on Program Version Control software

ugkong@sunybcs (Bob Kong) (01/13/88)

Does anyone have any information on programs such as Polytron PVCS
software or any software of this type from any other vendors.

Any infomation would help.

                Bob Lay Kong
		Shearson Lehman Brothers
		Branch Automation Systems

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (01/15/88)

In article <7800@sunybcs.UUCP> ugkong@sunybcs.UUCP (Bob Kong) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on programs such as Polytron PVCS
>software or any software of this type from any other vendors.

I have been using a couple of Polytron development tools, and am
generally pleased with their products.  Brief review:

PVCS (Polytron Version Control System) - it ain't SCCS, but it works.
Actually, it seems a philosophical child (or at least nephew) of
SCCS.  My major complaint is that I haven't figured out how to use
the locking options to avoid the "last submitter wins" kind of
disasters that befall multi-developer projects.  (But then, we
are using multiple copies of the older single-user PVCS to access
shared source files over a LAN.  I understand the newer PVCS comes
in a networked version that deals with this problem directly.  Also,
I haven't worked hard on this problem 'cause it's not a problem
in my [so far very small] project.)  I'm also impressed with its
speed.  Several years ago, I used SCCS much more than now; even
controlled the drafts of my memos.  But I stopped because gets and
deltas took too long.  PVCS is so fast, you hardly notice.

PolyMake - yet another MSDOS-based-almost-UNIX-compatible MAKE
program.  Actually, it's the best I've used, though NDMAKE
(shareware from Don Kneller) and Turbo Make (included "free"
in Turbo C from Borland) are real close in most features.  (By
the way, DON'T use Microsoft's MAKE; it's a toy, not a tool.)

The big win for PolyMake is that it works with PVCS.  In particular,
it knows how to read PVCS archives to get ages of source, knows
how to read the revision and version numbers, and can be "programmed"
to make certain versions (not quite as convenient as s-lists in sccs,
but not bad at all).

I'm not connected with any of the companies mentioned above.
The opinions expressed here are my own; I don't pretend to speak for AT&T.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

chane@mntgfx.mentor.com (Chane Cullens) (01/16/88)

in article <7800@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugkong@sunybcs (Bob Kong) says:

> Does anyone have any information on programs such as Polytron PVCS
> software or any software of this type from any other vendors.
>
> Any infomation would help.

I use TLIB 4.0 from Burton Systems at home.
It works very well, except if you use it's file locking procedures
with two source files that have the same base name.
e.g.
   graphics.h
   graphics.c
When you check out graphics.h with locking, TLIB creates a graphics.lok file.
Then, if you try to check out graphics.c with locking TLIB thinks it is
already check out.
There was a review a few months back in PC Tech Journal, they picked
Polyron PVCS, $300 or so, and TLIB 3.x, $100, as the best.
--
Chane Cullens

chane@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (01/19/88)

In article <1159@mtunb.ATT.COM>, dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
> Several years ago, I used SCCS much more than now; even
> controlled the drafts of my memos.  But I stopped because gets and
> deltas took too long.  PVCS is so fast, you hardly notice.

I think SCCS stores the full text of the first version of the document,
and then stores deltas so that later versions can be recreated.
However, it seems that the most common operation is to check out the
newest version, not the oldest.

RCS does the opposite -- it stores the full text of the most recent
version and reverse deltas so that older versions can be recreated.
(Some SCCS-type systems store the full text of the oldest and the
newest, just to avoid this problem.)

On a system like MS-DOS, where the speed of the computer and/or disks
may be a limitation, the RCS approach clearly makes the most of what
you have.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels