[comp.sys.ibm.pc] fff

steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) (01/08/88)

Hi, this is my first posting, so.... lots of flames ok???
Sorry about the subject line.  Anyway, to buisness :  I've heard
rumors that some of the new vga cards for pc's don't actually
work!  Is this true???  I have a pc xt clone (1200 for 640k, herc
card with parrallel, monitor, 30 meg hard drive, 360k floppy,
and mouse.  Some one was asking about good prices.)  I would like
to upgrade sometime soon to vga and monitor.  Question is : What
cards are good working values, and what sort of monitor do I need,
something like the NEC Multisync???  Thanks for any help!!!

Steve Cook, Blithering Idiot

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MISCONCEPTIONS ***

donovan@cg-atla.UUCP (Dennis Donovan X5176) (01/08/88)

In article <2667@slovax.UUCP> steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>Hi, this is my first posting, so.... lots of flames ok???
>Sorry about the subject line.  Anyway, to buisness :  I've heard
>rumors that some of the new vga cards for pc's don't actually
>work!  Is this true???  I have a pc xt clone (1200 for 640k, herc
>card with parrallel, monitor, 30 meg hard drive, 360k floppy,
>and mouse.  Some one was asking about good prices.)  I would like
>to upgrade sometime soon to vga and monitor.  Question is : What
>cards are good working values, and what sort of monitor do I need,
>something like the NEC Multisync???  Thanks for any help!!!
>
>Steve Cook, Blithering Idiot
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MISCONCEPTIONS ***

I have been looking into the very same thing. I called Paradise for the spec
sheet on the Paradise VGA Plus board and was impressed. The specs say that
the board is both Register (Hardware) and BIOS (software) compatible.

I then had a question whether it would work with the NEC Multisync so I
called Paradise and talked with someone there who informed me that I would
need at least the NEC Multisync II because the NEC Multisync doesn't have a
screen lock or something and it will roll on you. He also suggested the
Mitsubishi DiamondScan.

Of the specs I've seen the Paradise VGA Plus looks the best ( most of the
others are just BIOS compatible ). Paradise offers a 3 year warrantee with
the board as well as a 3 year guarantee of its VGA compatibility, if the
board fails to execute VGA that another VGA board will, they will either
give you a BIOS upgrade to solve the problem or refund your money.

I am planning to buy the NEC Multisync II and the Paradise VGA Plus.
The prices I've seen in PC Magazine are: NEC Multisync ~$549 and
Paradise VGA Plus ~$260.

DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with Paradise. I have not used the board,
so I have no personal knowledge of its performance.

						Dennis
|                    Dennis L. Donovan                     |
| UUCP   : decvax!cg-atla!donovan                          |
| AT&T   : (617) 658-5600 x5716                            |
| USMAIL : Compugraphic Corporation                        |
|          200 Ballardvale St., M.S. 200-2-2F              |
|          Wilmington, MA 01887                            |
"Nobody asked, just my opinion"
Disclaimer: The views expressed are my own, I doubt if CG really cares anyway.

ron@islenet.UUCP (Ron Morse) (01/12/88)

Follow up to 11681 (sorry...When I try to quote a ref the entire package
gets sent to dead_article)
  > Nec multisync for ~$549...

Are you sure that is the price for a multisync II?  Sounds about right for
the JC-1401P3A...the old multisync (which I have and love...but it does
have a certain lack of vertical stability with a PS-2 VGA (the vert hold
will correct until the next video mode change).  Or is the multisync II the
monochrome monitor for desktop publishing?  Anyway, I'd want to insure I
had return privs if somebody is selling the new colour Multisync at that
price.  BTW...my 1401P3A had to go back for realignment twice...and I
haven't seen another that didn't need it. (look for misconvergence in
the red at the upper and lower left corners.)

donovan@cg-atla.UUCP (Dennis Donovan X5176) (01/19/88)

In article <3779@islenet.UUCP> ron@islenet.UUCP (Ron Morse) writes:

>Follow up to 11681 (sorry...When I try to quote a ref the entire package
>gets sent to dead_article) (I wrote it.:-)
>  > Nec multisync for ~$549...
>
>Are you sure that is the price for a multisync II?  Sounds about right for
>the JC-1401P3A...the old multisync (which I have and love...but it does
>have a certain lack of vertical stability with a PS-2 VGA (the vert hold

Actually PC Connection has it in the January Mags for $547