[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard disks keep croaking

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (01/14/88)

Perhaps there's someone out there who's had a similar experience
and knows how to fix it.

The configuration is a PC's limited Turbo XT.  It has 2 floppy drives
(1 5.25 drive, 1 3.5 drive) and a 20 MB hard disk.  At first, I installed
a FlashCard 20MB disk-on-a-card.  The disk then started developing bad sectors
at an alarming rate.  I would back up what I could, re-format and re-load
the software, but this continued.

Since the PC is located in a less-than-ideal location; e.g. smoke-filled
secretary's room, I assumed that the environment was destroying the
disk.  I replaced the FlashCard with my own Seagate ST 251 20MB disk
which was in my own Turbo-XT for a year and which gave me no problems.

The disk worked well for several months, but lately has been developing
problems of the 'abort, retry, ignore' type.  The error messages are
transient.  Sometimes the data is there; sometimes it's not.  First
I thought the problem might be heat-related.  I had them run it with cover
off for a while, but this didn't help much.  Now I've got them replacing
the power supply.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  Do I have to replace the disk
with one that is more 'durable'?  What is a more durable disk?  I should
point out that this machine is extremely heavily used.

Thanks in advance for any help.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (01/19/88)

In article <349@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>transient.  Sometimes the data is there; sometimes it's not.  First
>I thought the problem might be heat-related.  I had them run it with cover
>off for a while, but this didn't help much.  Now I've got them replacing
>the power supply.

Evan,

Don't know if your problem is head-related or not, but I have found that
running with 'skins off' is not necessarily cooler or at least enough
cooler.  I once had a cantakerous 5 Mbyte drive which WOULD NOT work
after warming up (about 20 minutes) when installed even with the cover
off.  When I unmounted and set the drive atop the power supply (which
was just a handy flat place, no special significance otherwise) it
would work fine after a few minutes of cool-off time, even if I kept
power on through the move from down in the chassis to up on top (yes, I
know, dangerous to heads to move spinning disk - it did work, though).

regards, Larry
--
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
- Oscar Wilde, James Whistler or George Bernard Shaw depending on who you ask

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/21/88)

When you run with the cover off, your machine doesn't have the
air circulation that the engineers (ostensibly) designed, so it
may actually cool LESS effectively than if you leave the cover on.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger