[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help with a Seagate 251 which seems too slow

ir1@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (ir1) (01/15/88)

I am running an ATT6300 which for the purpose of this question is
the same as an IBM XT. I was running a Seagate 225 20M hard disk
which gave me a Norton Utility Index of 1.1. I have now switched to a 40M
Seagate 251 with a WD WX1 controller, partioned into a small C,
and a 20M D and E drive. (Partioning done with Speedstore.) The
Norton Index on the 251 is .5, and stopwatch timings of program
do the low level format and Seagate doesn't seem helpful (although
they claim the 251 should be as fast as the 225).

So, can any one help me out. I would happy if I got the 251 to be as
fast as the 225, although happier if it were faster. Does anyone
know the optimal interleave for the 251 with the WD WX1 and an XT.

Alternatively is there a better half height drive for the money
about $500-600).

Thanks in advance

Neal Beck
Dept. of Pol. Sci

beck@ucsd (Bitnet)
beck@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Arpa)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/19/88)

In article <3579@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> ir1@sdcc6.ucsd.edu.UUCP () writes:

| So, can any one help me out. I would happy if I got the 251 to be as
| fast as the 225, although happier if it were faster. Does anyone
| know the optimal interleave for the 251 with the WD WX1 and an XT.

There is no "best" interleave factor... with a very large interleaf
factor (say 8) everything will run, but slowly. As you decrease the
interleave things will get faster and then slower. The point at which
this occurs depends on your wait states, disk controller, CPU speed,
etc. It *also* depends on the program reading the data. A program which
does read and process will run best with a fairly large interleave (say
4-8), while program loads by DOS (virtually no processing) will run
blindingly fast at interleave 2. What you need to do is repeatedly do a
low level format, high level format, and benchmark until you find out
what works on your system. If you pick 6 for an XT and 4 for an AT you
will be in a reasonable range, since these are the figures used by IBM.

The optimal solution is to use a controller or disk cache program which
does "track buffering." Since this allows the hardware to move the data,
no interleave is needed, and all programs run very fast. We used to do
this on large floppy systems when the PC was still a dream.

The reason Seagate won't tell you what to use is that you have to find
out for yourself, and determine if you want to trade program load for
program run speed, and in which direction. It sounds as if your
interleave is too small, but since you haven't checked it there's no way
to tell.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (01/22/88)

In article <3579@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU>, ir1@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (ir1) writes:
> I am running an ATT6300 which for the purpose of this question is
> the same as an IBM XT. I was running a Seagate 225 20M hard disk
> which gave me a Norton Utility Index of 1.1. I have now switched to a 40M
> Seagate 251 with a WD WX1 controller, partioned into a small C,
> and a 20M D and E drive. (Partioning done with Speedstore.) The
> Norton Index on the 251 is .5, and stopwatch timings of program
> do the low level format and Seagate doesn't seem helpful (although
> they claim the 251 should be as fast as the 225).

   Hello,
 First off let me point out that generally the best interleave is determined
by the controller you are using, so you should look at the information you
recieved with the HD Controller. Now let me tell you about my experiences
with the various contorllers, and what we used with a ST-251. I installed
a Seagate ST-251 in an IBM-PC the other day, and the contorller that came
with the drive was a Western Digital WD1002-SWX series board (I think SWX).
After several re-formats we decieded the best interleave was 4:1. This was
tested using the CORE Harddrive test, and the throughput was about 130Kbytes
per second. When using the recomended 3:1 interleave, throughput dropped to
a mere 30Kbytes per second, and at 5:1 it was only down to 120Kbytes. This
proves that too short an interleave really hurts!! Anyway the other Western
Digital controllers I have worked with are the WD1003 and the WD1006 series.
The best interleave with the 1003 is 3:1 and gives a throughput of about 190
Kbytes per second. The GREAT controller (and the one I use) is the WD1006
series, and it is a 1:1 interleave track-cache controller. The WD1006 will
achive a throughput of nearly 400 Kbytes, and believe me you can tell when
copying large files. Well I hope this is of interest to some of you net
readers...

						Sincearly,
						Howard Leadmon
						Fast Computer Service, Inc.