[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CMI DRIVE

peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (01/15/88)

I friend of mine is putting a CMI hard drive into his AT Compatable.

The CMI drive is a CM6426 with 4 heads and 640 cylinders.  Does anyone
know what drive type this would be?

					Thanks
					 Peter

ARPA: peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu       USMAIL: Peter J. Diaz de Leon
      peter@uwm-cs.milw.wisc.edu             7411 W. Warnimont Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI. 53220

UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!peter   ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

shah1@houxa.UUCP (J.SHAH) (01/15/88)

> I friend of mine is putting a CMI hard drive into his AT Compatable.
>
> The CMI drive is a CM6426 with 4 heads and 640 cylinders.  Does anyone
> know what drive type this would be?

I have a CMI drive on my AT compatible and I think it is a 6426.
I am using it as a type 3 drive.

Shah Jahan
AT&T Bell Laboratories

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/16/88)

In article <4208@uwmcsd1.UUCP> peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:

>I friend of mine is putting a CMI hard drive into his AT Compatable.
>
>The CMI drive is a CM6426 with 4 heads and 640 cylinders.  Does anyone

This isn't the answer you're looking for, BUT.... CMI had muchos
problemas with the early 6426 and 6440 drives.  I would be wary of using
one in a machine that data that your friend can't afford to lose.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

lotto@wjh12.harvard.edu (Jerry Lotto) (01/16/88)

In article <2071@houxa.UUCP> shah1@houxa.UUCP (J.SHAH) writes:
>> The CMI drive is a CM6426 with 4 heads and 640 cylinders.  Does anyone
>> know what drive type this would be?
>I have a CMI drive on my AT compatible and I think it is a 6426.
>I am using it as a type 3 drive.
>Shah Jahan
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

Please be more careful before posting things to the net. Some people
consider this a definative source of information! Type 3 drives (on
standard AT BIOS proms) have 6 heads and correspond to the CMI 6640
drives among others (6 -6000 series drive 6 -head count 40 -rounded
off unformatted capacity) not the 6426 (6 -6000 series drive 4 -head
count 26 -rounded off unformatted capacity) that IBM sold with the
original AT 20Mb config. The CMI 6426 is best approximated by drive
type 2.
--
Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (01/22/88)

In article <4208@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:

> The CMI drive is a CM6426 with 4 heads and 640 cylinders.  Does anyone
> know what drive type this would be?

   Hello,
 The CMI-6426 and the CMI-3426 are both 20 Megabyte units, and in an AT the
drive type would be 2. This is the same drive that IBM originally used in
the AT computer, but they had a lot of problems with them. So select type 2
and you should have no problems. Be advised that the type 2 drive will only
format 615 cylinders, but there is no other choice...

						Sincearly,
						Howard Leadmon
						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl
						(301)-335-2206