[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dialing into DOS

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (01/14/88)

Is there a PD or commercial package that would allow me to
dial into DOS, emulate a VT100 during the connection and allow
me to use the system commands as if I were next to the box (6300+)?

Also is there one that will allow that remote login as well as
a local user?

--
 _ __               ()
' )  )   _/_        /\       /            _/_ _/_

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/14/88)

In article <289@tsc.DEC.COM> pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:

> Is there a PD or commercial package that would allow me to
> dial into DOS, emulate a VT100 during the connection and allow
> me to use the system commands as if I were next to the box (6300+)?
>
> Also is there one that will allow that remote login as well as
> a local user?

Carbon Copy, Carbon Copy+, and PC Anywhere all allow remote dial-in and
submission of commands.  The packages allow users at both ends, but they
must be performing the same task (i.e., working on the same document or
spreadsheet).  This is a limitation of DOS.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

mshiels@orchid.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) (01/14/88)

PC-Anywhere ios a good package to allow dial in to your PC from anywhere using
any of the 30 defined terminal types.

EKD Computer Sales and SUpllies Corp.
764 Middle Country Rd.
Selden, NY 11784
516-736-2111

I have no ties with them except as a satsified user of PC-Anywhere.
There are other packages but they require you to run software at both ends.

--
  Michael A. Shiels (MaS Network Software)
  mshiels@orchid.waterloo.EDU

wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) (01/14/88)

There's a DOS called Wendin-DOS which allows multiuser, multitasking,
including on a dialup line, I think.  It has access protections much like
VAX VMS does.  It's basically a mixture of MS-DOS, Unix, and VMS.
You might have to write a little program that monitors the modem and
waits for a connect prompt.  If you set it up right, though, your files
aren't accessible until the user uses the LOGIN command.

    Hope this helped...
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
 /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __     ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx.bitnet!wcf
/___/_<_</_</_    (_/   </_/ <_/ <_</_/ (_

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (01/15/88)

In article <1560@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
>In article <289@tsc.DEC.COM> pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>> Is there a PD or commercial package that would allow me to
>> dial into DOS, emulate a VT100 during the connection and allow
>> me to use the system commands as if I were next to the box (6300+)?
>> Also is there one that will allow that remote login as well as
>> a local user?
>Carbon Copy, Carbon Copy+, and PC Anywhere all allow remote dial-in and
>submission of commands.  The packages allow users at both ends, but they
>must be performing the same task (i.e., working on the same document or
>spreadsheet).  This is a limitation of DOS.

I looked into this once, and it seems that if you had a program like
Desqview or DoubleDos, you could start a local COMMAND.COM in the foreground
partition, while "CTTY"ing the background COMMAND.COM out the serial port.

Alternatively, start COMMAND.COM in the background partition with the following
C program or equivalent:

main()
{
	freopen("com1", "r", stdin);
	freopen("com1", "w", stdout);
	freopen("com1", "w", stderr);
	/* insert code for login and password here if wanted */
	execl("c:/command.com", "command.com",NULL);
}

Anybody ever try this sort of thing?

I abandoned it because I installed UNIX on my AT clone, which makes it
eminently more suited to multi-user, multi-tasking operation than it was
under DOS :-) ...

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

hoff@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Tom Hoff) (01/15/88)

In article <289@tsc.DEC.COM> pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>Is there a PD or commercial package that would allow me to
>dial into DOS, emulate a VT100 during the connection and allow
>me to use the system commands as if I were next to the box (6300+)?

Try PROCOMM.  It's availiable on almost any bbs that has IBM software.
It has a host mode that is protected by 2 levels of password security,
allowing you to bring up a dos shell or whatever shell is specified by
the COMSPEC environment variable.

>Also is there one that will allow that remote login as well as
>a local user?

I've used it in host mode in a DESQVIEW window,  while bringing it up in
terminal mode in another window and calling up the first window and
transferred a file across, all on the same pc (2 modems and phone lines
required).  Granted this is not exactly the most efficient way of doing
things, but I was just checking to see if it would work.  I haven't tried
it with DOUBLEDOS, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work just
as well.

--Tom

--
     Tom Hoff (...!hplabs!hp-sdd!hoff)
	"Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer not a spokesman!"

ssb@picuxa.UUCP (Scott Strool 3D2 X1069) (01/15/88)

In article <289@tsc.DEC.COM>, pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:

> Is there a PD or commercial package that would allow me to
> dial into DOS, emulate a VT100 during the connection and allow
> me to use the system commands as if I were next to the box (6300+)?
>
> Also is there one that will allow that remote login as well as
> a local user?

	There are several PC basedd programs that allow you to call DOS.
	One of the most popular is called Carbon Copy. PC Magazine did a
	nice review of the them in the last issue. PC-Anywhere was their
	choice as best.

		Scott Strool (picuxa!ssb)

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (01/21/88)

*
Here are some dialup packages that allow you to control a PC from another.

1) Carbon Copy Plus - Meridian Technology.
2) Remote - Microstuf
3) pcANYWHERE - Dynamic Microprocessor Associates
4) CloseUp - Norton-Lambert
5) In-sync - American Video Teleconferencing Corp.
6) (I can't remember but I saw it advertised in Infoworld or PC Week about
   1-2 weeks ago)

The 1st 4 were the 1st 4 I became aware of.  CloseUp was rated highest in
reviews I read but that was before Carbon Copy became CC Plus.  So I don't
know which of those 2 might be #1 now.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
--
* Jeff Miller:  Ashton-Tate  52 Oakland Ave., E. Hartford, CT  06108-9911  *
* (203) 522-2116 x257  UUCP: ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *

uccjcm@ecsvax.UUCP (John McLendon) (01/23/88)

In article <2678@mmintl.UUCP> jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) writes:
>*
>Here are some dialup packages that allow you to control a PC from another.

[ list of packages deleted ]
>* Jeff Miller:  Ashton-Tate  52 Oakland Ave., E. Hartford, CT  06108-9911  *
>* (203) 522-2116 x257  UUCP: ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *
>*                         or ...!ihnp4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm          *

	We just bought PC-ANYWHERE and it didn't work on a PS/2 Model 50.
	I called DMA and they arranged to download the latest release
	that same day. It works GREAT! It is really just like you
	are sitting at the remote machine, with only a very slight
	delay. We rejected Carbon-Copy Plus because it requires two
	copies of the program, one to dial from and one to dial into.
	PC-ANYWHERE gives you a program called ATERM to dial into the
	remote site with the package, and encourages you to use it.
	Additionally, PC-ANYWHERE emulates a god-awful long list of
	terminals, including DEC, IBM, and HP types, in case you
	insist on using your own emulator. I, of course, have no financial
	interest in DMA, etc... But they can expect an order for
	18 more copies to come down the pipe real soon now.
--
Signed: John McLendon                 uccjcm@ecsvax.UUCP
        (919) 846-7931 (home)         jcm@duke.UUCP