[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Response to the fellow looking for a hard drive.

rlneal@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Neal) (01/22/88)

------------------
I just received my PC Source/Compuadd catalog and the
Flashcards (hard cards) have come down in price.  They
now sell for $319 for a 20mb or $339 for a 30mb.  I bought
one last January when their price was about $100 higher.
So far, I have been satisified with it.
I have no interest in PC Source other than being a satisfied
customer.  Oh, yes, they are located in Austin, Texas and
their phone number is 1-800-288-8234.

                                        Bob Neal
                                        @ ihnp4!ihlpe!rlneal
<standard disclaimer here>

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (01/23/88)

In article <2492@ihlpe.ATT.COM> rlneal@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Neal) writes:
>------------------
>I just received my PC Source/Compuadd catalog and the
>Flashcards (hard cards) have come down in price.  They
>now sell for $319 for a 20mb or $339 for a 30mb.  I bought

I recently purchased the 49Mb Flashcard (under the impression it was just
a plain Western Digital Controller).  I was very impressed with the quality
of the card, it uses a Seagate disk.  I run SCO Xenix on jclyde (Compaq
Deskpro with a V30).  The Flashcard uses an RLL controller, and Xenix does
not like RLL, it expects 17 sectors per track instead of 26.  You can
format the Flashcard normally but then you only get 32Mb capacity.  Well,
I returned the card and got a Seagate ST-251.  The people at CompuAdd were
great.  They have a 30 day money back guarantee (money back if the product
doesn't work for any reason).  I will do business with them anytime.

On a second note...  There has been much discussion about interleaves...
Well, if you run my setup (ST-251, Western Digital, Deskpro w/V30 (16 bit
processor/16 bit data)) with an interleave of 3 you will wait a long time
for things to occur.  I experimented and found an interleave of 6 gave the
best performance in both slow and fast modes.  Hope this helps someone.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550