[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I want more virtual drives!

ugfailau@sunybcs (Fai Lau) (01/19/88)

	Hi, is there anyway I could have more than four
drives in a PC? I have two floppies, one 30meg, and
one SUBST d drive that is on whenever the PC is on.
Is there anyway I can either add another virtual drive
and name it whatever I want (e: to z:) or to undo
the SUBST so d: is free to be reconfigured?
	Thanx!

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@joey.cs.buffalo.EDU

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (01/20/88)

In article <7922@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:
>	Hi, is there anyway I could have more than four
>drives in a PC? I have two floppies, one 30meg, and
>one SUBST d drive that is on whenever the PC is on.
>Is there anyway I can either add another virtual drive
>and name it whatever I want (e: to z:) or to undo
>the SUBST so d: is free to be reconfigured?

   I just did this on my system this past weekend. Make sure everything is
backed up from your hard disk, then use FDISK and the option to create DOS
partition. When it asks if you want to use the entire disk say no, and then
tell it how much to use. Then you can go back to the same option and create
another DOS partition. This partition will be D:, whereas the first one is
C:. You can create as many partitions as you will need.
   A note: on my system I allocated about 19Mb for C: and 1Mb for D:. The
reason for breaking this into partitions is to reduce fragmentation. Drive
D: will be used for temporary files, and to hold downloads. Due to this
type of use, it will become very fragmented after not too long a time. Having
it in a separate partition keeps my main system structure from becoming
fragmented.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu, ...iuvax!silver!creps, creps@iubacs.bitnet
"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (01/20/88)

In article <7922@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:
>	Hi, is there anyway I could have more than four
>[logical] drives in a PC?
[..]
>Is there anyway I can either add another virtual drive
>and name it whatever I want (e: to z:) or to undo
>the SUBST so d: is free to be reconfigured?

Easy.  First, adding logical drives.

In your config.sys file, just add the line

	LASTDRIVE=<something>:

For example: LASTDRIVE=F:

would give you logical drives A: through F:, which is what it sounds
like you want to do.

As for SUBST, I believe the command to delete a SUBST drive is:

	SUBST <drive>: /d

As in "subst d: /d".

jim frost
madd@bu-it

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (01/20/88)

Put the following line in your CONFIG.SYS file...

LASTDRIVE = Z

You should now be able to use the SUBST command to your heart's content
(oh by the way, SUBST d: /D will delete the substitution so you could
reuse it).

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.gov
...!cmcl2!lanl!myxm

apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) (01/24/88)

In article <7922@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:

>	Hi, is there anyway I could have more than four
>drives in a PC? I have two floppies, one 30meg, and
>one SUBST d drive that is on whenever the PC is on.
>Is there anyway I can either add another virtual drive
>and name it whatever I want (e: to z:) or to undo
>the SUBST so d: is free to be reconfigured?
>	Thanx!
>
>Fai  Lau
>SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
>UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
>BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@joey.cs.buffalo.EDU

use

LASTDRIVE=Z

in config.sys
or undo subst d:....
by
subst d:/d

--
Alex P Novickis [software engineering consultant]            +1 707 575 9616
UUCP: {ames,sun,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn            CS: [76056,601]