[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Personal Computer Insurance ?

russ@hpldola.UUCP (12/03/87)

I am interested in finding out information on companies that offer
insurance for personal computers.  I would appreciate any information
on policy amounts and any experiences filing claims.  Thanks.

tang@gumby.wisc.edu (Theodore Tang @ Univ of Wisc at Madison) (12/08/87)

In article <11250011@hpldola.HP.COM>, russ@hpldola.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
> I am interested in finding out information on companies that offer
> insurance for personal computers.  I would appreciate any information
> on policy amounts and any experiences filing claims.  Thanks.

Alright, I just signed up with Safeware, The Insurance Agency, Inc., today.
First of all, I wish to state for the record that I am in no way related with
this company whatsoever except I have just signed with them to insure my PC.

In addition, I do not have any experience with this company, either, and will
be happy to post a follow up on my feelings of their service as my policy
transgresses.

Here's the information:

Amount of Insurance                     Annual Premium
-------------------                     --------------
Up to $2000       			$ 39
$2,001-$5,000				$ 69
$5,001-$8,000				$ 89
$8,001-$11,000				$109
$11,001-$14,000				$129

They cover all computer equipment from theft, fire, power surge, accidents,
and more.  Hardware and software are covered, and by their definition, any
equipment which cannot be used without the computer alone is covered.

It is covered at any location, in transit.  There are other terms but these
are the ones that I had asked about and they told me about.  There's a $50
deductable.

Supposedly there is no obligation, return the policy in 10 days for a full
refund.  Rates available for higher coverage (sure would like to know what
you're using as a PC!).  Their phone # is 1-800-848-3469, in Ohio call
1-814-262-0559 or write Safeware, The Insurance Agency, Inc., 2929 North
High Street, PO Box 02211, Columbus, OH 43202-9990.

Coverage is available immediately if you call and lasts for one year.

Again, I just signed up and I don't know them.

Ted Tang
University of Wisconsin at Madison

tang@gumby.wisc.edu

wb8foz@netsys.UUCP (David Lesher) (12/09/87)

Have you asked your insurance agent for a special
'floater' for your equipment? I have found this
to be *much* cheaper than dealing with a special
high-profile broker.
--

Have you ever WATCHED cable TV, Judge Kennedy?
decuac!netsys!wb8foz

loafman@convexe.UUCP (12/10/87)

Currently Safeware is not available in all states, Texas being one of the
few that have screwey insurance laws and restrictions.  It would be nice
to find something like that available in Texas.  Anyone know?

...Kenneth

schwager@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/10/87)

re: Insurance
Doesn't your renters/homeowners insurance cover your computer?  Mine does!
-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (12/11/87)

I purchased a rider on my homeowner's policy (actually, renter's policy)
that specifically covers my computer stuff -- I had to make out an inventory
of what was covered (sheesh!  That $1300 box is the basis of a $3500 system,
and I was trying to hold the costs down...)

My impression from the insurance agent is that such riders, for computers as
well as for other specifically valuable items, is a fairly common option.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (12/11/87)

In article <1782@netsys.UUCP> wb8foz@netsys.UUCP (David Lesher,Contributor) writes:
>Have you asked your insurance agent for a special
>'floater' for your equipment? I have found this
>to be *much* cheaper than dealing with a special
>high-profile broker.
>--

According to my insurance agent, a personal computer is covered by normal
homeowner's insurance in NY State, if it is used for hobby purposes.
Of course, policy limits apply. (Your computer is considered to be
another piece of furniture in case of loss)
When you start making money with it, or it is a tax deduction, it should
be covered by a special 'floater'.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

driscoll@eecae.UUCP (Mike Driscoll) (12/11/87)

in article <4769@iucs.UUCP>, bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) says:

> I purchased a rider on my homeowner's policy (actually, renter's policy)
> that specifically covers my computer stuff -- I had to make out an inventory
> of what was covered (sheesh!  That $1300 box is the basis of a $3500 system,
> and I was trying to hold the costs down...)
>
> My impression from the insurance agent is that such riders, for computers as
> well as for other specifically valuable items, is a fairly common option.

   I once received an advertisement from some `computer insurance'
company that said that most homeowner's/renter's policies don't cover
computer equipment that is used for business purposes.  Was this just
a scare tactic on their part?  Do the riders mentioned cover the
equipment no matter what it is used for?

--
Michael A. Driscoll              UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!driscoll
Dept. of Electrical Engineering  ARPA: driscoll@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (12/12/87)

In <1782@netsys.UUCP> wb8foz@netsys.UUCP (David Lesher,Contributor) writes:
>Have you asked your insurance agent for a special
>'floater' for your equipment? I have found this
>to be *much* cheaper than dealing with a special
>high-profile broker.

However, most homeowners and renters policies will not cover more than
$5,000 hardware and software combined.

For those of us with SERIOUS systems, it just doesn't make it.

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (12/12/87)

In article <4689@eecae.UUCP>, driscoll@eecae.UUCP (Mike Driscoll) writes:
> in article <4769@iucs.UUCP>, bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) says:
> >
> > I purchased a rider on my homeowner's policy (actually, renter's policy)
> > that specifically covers my computer stuff -- I had to make out an inventory
> > of what was covered (sheesh!  That $1300 box is the basis of a $3500 system,
> > and I was trying to hold the costs down...)
> >
> > My impression from the insurance agent is that such riders, for computers as
> > well as for other specifically valuable items, is a fairly common option.
>
>    I once received an advertisement from some `computer insurance'
> company that said that most homeowner's/renter's policies don't cover
> computer equipment that is used for business purposes.  Was this just
> a scare tactic on their part?  Do the riders mentioned cover the
> equipment no matter what it is used for?
>

> --
> Michael A. Driscoll              UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!driscoll
> Dept. of Electrical Engineering  ARPA: driscoll@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)
> Michigan State University        Office: (517) 353-5337
> E. Lansing, MI, 48824

What are "business purposes"; and how does an insurance company dis-
tinguish serious "hobby" user from business purposes?  I suppose that
a computer maintaining financial records from an income-earning activity
is a "business" activity, especially if the computer is used for little
else.  What about a university faculty member using the computer more-
or-less as a typewriter (word processor)?  Typewriters used in this way
are insurable under homeowner's policies.

Does the rider on the homeowner's policy for a computer approach the
cost of a standalone computer insurance (e.g. on a $3000 system)?

If my $3000 (1984 value) system is now worth about $900 (1987), what
should I insure it for?  Does this have any effect on whether I should
try to persuade my insurance company to cover it under a rider, versus
a standalone policy?

Could insurance/legal experienced net members give their views on these
matters?

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (12/12/87)

driscoll@eecae.UUCP (Mike Driscoll) writes:
>>	[ originally, I say ]
>>
>> I purchased a rider on my homeowner's policy (actually, renter's policy)
>> that specifically covers my computer stuff -- I had to make out an inventory
>>
>> My impression from the insurance agent is that such riders, for computers as
>> well as for other specifically valuable items, is a fairly common option.
>
>   I once received an advertisement from some `computer insurance'
>company that said that most homeowner's/renter's policies don't cover
>computer equipment that is used for business purposes.  Was this just
>a scare tactic on their part?  Do the riders mentioned cover the
>equipment no matter what it is used for?

I think the ad you saw was correct as far as it went -- the normal policy
wouldn't cover items that are too expensive, or especially fragile (or other
reasons the ins. company can think of to deny a claim).  When I got my
insurance I asked about my computer, and my agent said it wouldn't be covered
and that I could/should insure it specifically, with this rider.  The rider says
nothing about use.  But it's also an extra cost, in my case more than the
rest of the policy.  It covers any damage to the computer, including things
that are excluded from the normal policy, but it covers exactly and only the
items inventoried, for the covered amount (I went for "replacement cost",
which was of course an estimate on my part).

Probably the only difference between the rider on my policy, and a separate
policy from a `computer insurance' company, is the number of insurance
companies you have to deal with.  I hate this sort of thing, so the convenience
of dealing with one company, paying one bill, having one insurance agent to
talk to, etc.,  outweighs the possible benefits I might get from shopping
around.

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (12/18/87)

I also investigated insurance for my Compaq when my house insurance came
due.  As long as it is not for business purposes, there is a standard
allowance for electronic equipment of any type, including computers.
Unfortunately, my system shoots well over that maximum, and so I've bought
an extra cost rider, which has a fixed rate per $100 of replacement cost,
and I've provided a list of components comprising my system.  Even this has
its limits.  If I go over around 15K, they will not insure it without my
installing a home security system, and may not insure it at all.  I mean,
who spends that kind of money on a machine they don't intend to use for
business?  Well, they obviously don't understand the singlemindedness of the
lone computer freak.
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

thuet@utah-cs.UUCP (Kevin W Thuet) (01/21/88)

  I was able to get my computer insured with my home owners policy through
State Farm Insurance.  It only cost me about $10 a year more than usual and
it is covered up to $8000.00

-Kevin
thuet@cs.utah.edu

I hope I never have to use the insurance.

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/25/88)

Most homeowners policies won't cover the machine if it's EVER used for
business.  What about yours?

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger