[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Moria sources on simtel20.arpa

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (01/28/88)

In comp.binaries.ibm.pc, len@csd4.milw.wisc.edu writes:

> In article <600@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Has anyone had any success downloading the moria.arc file from simtel20.arpa
> >in the pd1:<msdos.games> directory?  We can't unarc it once we get it, as
> >the archive seems to be corrupted.  I am using an 8 bit transfer in ftp.
>
> I am having the same problem with a unix system here with any of the arc'd
> material.  My local wizards do not understand the problem.  Any help?

     The problem may be that the person who created MORIA.ARC used PKARC,
not ARC.  PKARC adds yet another compression technique ("Squashed") to the
panoply used by ARC; the result is that you cannot un-ARC MORIA.ARC using ARC.
You must use PKXARC (the program which extracts files made by PKARC) or the
LATEST version of ARC-E to un-ARC MORIA.ARC.  I'd like to point out that
these two programs are MSD*S programs and do not run under UN*X; I don't
know of any version of ARC for UN*X that supports PKARC's "Squashed"
format.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.