[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Strange thing on my PC

svv@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Nobody in Particular) (01/27/88)

I have an original Big Blue IBM Genuine PC, and I noticed the
other day that there is a device on the motherboard that resembles
a potentiometer. It's right near the power supply connections
on the motherboard. Does anybody know what it is/what it controls?

Just curious,

S.Vasudevan
svv@cory.berkeley.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/28/88)

> I have an original Big Blue IBM Genuine PC, and I noticed the
> other day that there is a device on the motherboard that resembles
> a potentiometer. It's right near the power supply connections
> on the motherboard. Does anybody know what it is/what it controls?
>
> S.Vasudevan

I've been told it is a trimmer for the real-time clock frequency.  Real
useful if you've been finding the date and time out of sync with the
real world.

Clayton E. Cramer

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (01/28/88)

In article <374@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> svv@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Nobody in Particular) writes:
>I have an original Big Blue IBM Genuine PC, and I noticed the
>other day that there is a device on the motherboard that resembles
>a potentiometer. It's right near the power supply connections
>on the motherboard. Does anybody know what it is/what it controls?

This pot is used to trim the clock chip.

Dan