[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Memory tester

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (01/14/88)

Hello! I have (finally) installed a megabyte of memory in my AT past the
original 1mb. There is apparently a bad chip in it. The memory test program
I got with the expansion board (Everex) simply hangs the machine.

Does anyone have a good memory test program for AT memory past 1mb?
(Note: this is not EMS memory). I would prefer to avoid the tried and
true technique of swapping chips 1 at a time (there are 36 of them!).

Thanks in advance.

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) (01/19/88)

In article <1461@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:

>Does anyone have a good memory test program for AT memory past 1mb?
>(Note: this is not EMS memory). I would prefer to avoid the tried and
>true technique of swapping chips 1 at a time (there are 36 of them!).

	There's a program in Mace Utilities which tests Extended memory
on an AT.  Also points out if your AT has problems accessing Extended
memory (some BIOS have trouble writing to Extended memory).  There are
also other programs in Mace which make the package worthwhile (like the
best harddisk optimizer there is).  If you also need harddisk management
utilities, then Mace is a good buy.

Disclaimer: Paul Mace?!?  Who'z dat?

--
Yuan Chang
UUCP:      {ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (01/28/88)

In article <1452@uhccux.UUCP>, yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:
> In article <1461@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
> >Does anyone have a good memory test program for AT memory past 1mb?
>
> 	There's a program in Mace Utilities which tests Extended memory
> on an AT.  Also points out if your AT has problems accessing Extended
> memory (some BIOS have trouble writing to Extended memory).  There are
> also other programs in Mace which make the package worthwhile (like the
> best harddisk optimizer there is).  If you also need harddisk management
> utilities, then Mace is a good buy.

Mace is a fine product and will work fine for your purposes. However
in the latest Version of the Mace utilities (Version 4.1) there is a
bug in the UnFragment program (I found this out when I called Mace
Tech support to find out why It was'nt working for me) which can be
dangerous to SOME disk drives. ALL OF THE OTHER PROGRAMS APPEAR TO
WORK FINE so If you have Mace 4.1 don't use UnFragment until you get
the official fix from MACE.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623