[comp.sys.ibm.pc] scsi/sasi or smd interfaces for PC/AT's ?

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (01/20/88)

I am interested in getting either 1) a scsi/sasi interface for a PC or
preferably an AT - i.e. something that will let the machine talk to
scsi or sasi devices; and/or 2) a SMD interface for PC/AT's.

If anyone has pointers or useful information, e.g. price, manufacturers,
retail sources, etc. etc.  I would appreciate you taking the time to
email (or post) the information.

 Thanks in advance,
			john
 ...{watmath, ihnp4, uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!bby-bc!john

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (01/29/88)

To: john@bby-bc.UUCP
Subject: Re: scsi/sasi or smd interfaces for PC/AT's ?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:

Adaptec makes a PC-AT SCSI controller card (model AHA-1540).  Supports
both synch and asynch transfers.  $285 (qty. 100)

Adaptec Inc.
580 Cottonwood Drive
Milpitas, CA  95035
(408)432-8600

I have not tried one of these.

In my 80386 AT, I have a PC SCSI contoller card and scsi disk from Quantum
Corp.  The disk is fast but the card is a little slow since it is only 8bits
wide.  I have had it for 4 months with no problems.  This setup is called
the "IQ Kit".  Quantum Corp. is also in Milpitas, CA.   I have the Q280
(80 MB, 26ms access, SCSI interface) and have been very happy with it.
I hope to try the Adaptec card with it soon.

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen%filter@hub.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab
ECE Dept.