[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info request: Microsoft Windows vs. Desqview

adam@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Adam R. Iles) (01/25/88)

Hello, I'm presently looking for a windowing package to run on
an XT clone that my brother and I share.  Since I don't have any
hard information or experience with either of the two major ones
which are available I'm asking anyone who uses and/or programs
under either Windows or Desqview for their opinions as to each
products merit and flexability.

The system is a 4.77/8 MHz XT clone with 640k, 30Meg HD and an
ATI EGA Wonder card connected to a TTL monitor.

Specific information on compatability with Turbo C, Turbo Pascal,
Microsoft Word 4.0 and Kermit or Procomm would be greatly apreciated.

advTHANKSnce

---------------------------

Adam R. Iles -- UTZOO!GPU.UTCS!adam     mail -- 210 Westmount Ave.
                adam@utoronto.bitnet            Toronto Ontario
                                                Canada  M6E 3M8
--

        Any opinions stated above may, or may not, refect those
        of any sane person living, dead, or just sleeping.

       Adam R. Iles:
                ...{decvax,ihnp4,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!adam

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (01/28/88)

In article <1988Jan25.081159.14791@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, adam@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Adam R. Iles) writes:
> Hello, I'm presently looking for a windowing package to run on
> an XT clone that my brother and I share.  Since I don't have any
> hard information or experience with either of the two major ones
> which are available I'm asking anyone who uses and/or programs
> under either Windows or Desqview for their opinions as to each
> products merit and flexability.

I have and use both Desqview 2.01 and Windows 2. Far and away the better,
more useful program for me is Desqview. But, they do somewhat different
things. DV is much much faster ( I would not recommend Windows on an XT),
DV is far better at being able to run virtually anything that runs on a PC,
DV does not provide a common Mac-like user interface - it just puts everything
into a window - Windows provides common forms of commands and style of
interface for programs written for it - and consequently falls down with
normal programs. WORD will run in a DV window but not in a Windows window.
But, Windows will become the defacto standard interface for OS/2.
DV is much easier to optimize and is more flexible in the way it uses
extended and expanded memory.

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (01/28/88)

In article <1988Jan25.081159.14791@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, adam@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Adam R. Iles) writes:
> Hello, I'm presently looking for a windowing package to run on
> an XT clone ...
> ... under either Windows or Desqview ...
>
> The system is a 4.77/8 MHz XT clone with 640k, 30Meg HD and an
> ATI EGA Wonder card connected to a TTL monitor.

I think that an 8MHz XT clone is going to be too weak for Windows.. so you're
probably better off with Desqview.  The character-based interface is quicker
than Microsoft's graphics-based interface (this becomes a pain only on the
slower machines).

In working with both programs I have found that they are both lacking in
performance when it comes to running standard DOS programs.  It usually isn't
very hard to hang up the system when running a couple of DOS programs.

Have fun...  ^_^
steve

ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) (01/31/88)

In article <158@spked.UUCP> croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:
}In working with both programs I have found that they are both lacking in
}performance when it comes to running standard DOS programs.  It usually isn't
}very hard to hang up the system when running a couple of DOS programs.
}
}Have fun...  ^_^
}steve

Considering the lack of hardware protection under MSDOS, DESQview does
remarkably well at continuing even when a program crashes.  There have been
many times when I had a crash* that would have required a complete reboot
without DV, yet I just killed off that window and continued....  Even in
really extreme cases, when things hang totally, it is usually still possible
to reboot without using the reset button (as long as INT 51h doesn't get
scribbled on, DV can get keyboard input).

*the vast majority of crashes are while developing a program (wild pointers,
etc....)

StdDisclaimer applies: just a *very* satisfied user.
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) (02/01/88)

In article <14302@sci.UUCP> phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1988Jan25.081159.14791@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, adam@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Adam R. Iles) writes:
>> Hello, I'm presently looking for a windowing package to run on

>I have and use both Desqview 2.01 and Windows 2. Far and away the better,
>more useful program for me is Desqview. But, they do somewhat different
>things. DV is much much faster ( I would not recommend Windows on an XT),
>DV is far better at being able to run virtually anything that runs on a PC,

I just got Desqview and within a few hours I was able to have it optimized
like the manual says. One thing to note is that Desqview really really works
best if you have EEMS (the Enhanced EMS from AST/Ashton-Tate & perhaps wiht
EMS 4.0) on the regular EMS boards it can swap programs & use it for data
but cant run programs in it. On my AST Premium/286 where the entire memory
is EEMS (even below 640) Desqview is a very happy camper... I have had
success with 8 concurrent programs ! I can have my transfer carry on in
the back ground while I work on something up front !! I am really impressed.

--
                                      | If you keep saying it          |
Indra K. Singhal		      |        the way it really is... |