[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AST Premium/286

cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (06/27/87)

Is there anyone out there in netland that has any experiences with the AST
Premium/286 AT-Compatible?  I am thinking of buying one and would like to
know of any pitfalls(pluses) of this computer.  The computer is for sale
on CompUServe for $2300 and includes 1MB memory on a 2MB motherboard, 1-1.2M
disk drive, AST 3G+ graphics card, 70MB disk drive, parallel and serial port.
I don't know of any thing I might have forgotten (otherwise I would have
included it here).  Please respond to me directly as I do not want to clutter
up the net.

				Thanks in advance,
					Mike Temkin
					ihnp4!csun!cs1!cbcscmst

--
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Michael Temkin		{inhp4,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!cs1!cbcscmst

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (06/30/87)

In article <334@cs1.UUCP>, cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) writes:
> Is there anyone out there in netland that has any experiences with the AST
> Premium/286 AT-Compatible?  I am thinking of buying one and would like to
> know of any pitfalls(pluses) of this computer.....

  We purchased 2 in January; based on our experience, our group in Boston
  purchased 7 more.  Primary attributes: well-built, runs everything, very
  fast (due to memory-cpu bus architecture). Should be upgradable to an almost
  "true" 80386 machine if AST decides to release a kit.

  Also, since machine is carried and discounted by various dealers, it is pos-
  sible to purchase one from a local dealer in many areas for a lower cost than,
  say, a PC Limited machine - if local support is an issue.

  AST is supposed to be working on a maintenance agreement with Honeywell to
  service the machines nation-wide ...

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

IKS@PSUVM.BITNET (Indra K. Singhal) (07/01/87)

In article <334@cs1.UUCP>, cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) says:

>Is there anyone out there in netland that has any experiences with the AST
>Premium/286 AT-Compatible?  I am thinking of buying one and would like to
>know of any pitfalls(pluses) of this computer.  The computer is for sale
>on CompUServe for $2300 and includes 1MB memory on a 2MB motherboard, 1-1.2M
>disk drive, AST 3G+ graphics card, 70MB disk drive, parallel and serial port.
>I don't know of any thing I might have forgotten (otherwise I would have
>included it here).  Please respond to me directly as I do not want to clutter
>up the net.

I have exactly the machine you are talking about... Model 170. I am super
thrilled withit. Based on my recommendations 3 others have bought it with
same degree of satisfaction.

I bought mine in Feb. IN march my keyboard began sqeaking ... I called their
tech support and lo and behold... I had a new keyboard in the mail. I sent
mine back. They always return your calls the same day... thrice with me.

Machine is superb... read the reviews. April PCTECH J. and ohters. Document-
ation needs work.

Note: memory is not on the motherboard... all on the "FASTRAM" card. it uses
100ns memory for 0 wait state. I populated my board to full 2M>

This machine is a winner !!!!
PS: $2300 sounds too good to be true... I paid $3099 with 70MB Micropolis.
    Make sure you get a Micropolis... great 28ms drive.
-------

     Keep Smiling (-:-)                  --Indra K. Singhal
 >>                                                           <<
 >>  email : psuvm.bitnet!iks  | bitnet: iks at psuvm         <<
 >>  usmail: 1300 Fayette Street # 243,                       <<
 >>          Conshohocken, PA 19428-1320.                     <<
 >>  ring  : 215-646-7710 (w), 215-828-1322 (h)               <<

MEHARP01@ULKYVX.BITNET (02/02/88)

This is yet another request for comments on equipment.  I am considering
purchasing an AT clone.  After considering several, I noticed that AST has
one.  The Premium 286.

If any of you out there have used one of these, please let me know how you
feel about it.  I am interested in feedback on all models.  If I get enough
meantime though, please respond to me directly if you possibly can.

Thanks in advance.  I look forward to hearing from you all.

Michael Harpe
University of Louisville

BITNET:  MEHARP01@ULKYVX