[comp.sys.ibm.pc] The Dictionary... Not from Austin Code Works!!!

jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) (01/31/88)

As a purchaser, I know that the dictionary from Austin Code Works
is a list of words.  They do not have a complete dictionary,
with usage, parts of speech, definitions, etc.
The only thing of this sort I've seen is on microsofts
bookshelf cdrom, which is impressive, and I know that
the Oxford English Dictionary is being prepared for
cdrom.

There was an article in last years Scientific American about
word playing in which a researcher at Bell Labs was mentioned.
Perhaps he could be a source.

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (02/01/88)

In article <172@dolphy.UUCP> jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) writes:
>and I know that
>the Oxford English Dictionary is being prepared for
>cdrom.

Actually, this is just speculation.  I work at the University of Waterloo,
which is doing the software for the new "electronic" OED; there was a talk
recently by one of the people involved in the project, and as far as he had
heard there were no firm plans yet for a CD ROM version (though it would seem
like a natural enough idea).

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watdcsu.waterloo{.edu,.csnet,.cdn}

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (02/03/88)

In article <4362@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:
>In article <172@dolphy.UUCP> jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) writes:
>>and I know that
>>the Oxford English Dictionary is being prepared for
>>cdrom.
>
>Actually, this is just speculation.  I work at the University of Waterloo,
>which is doing the software for the new "electronic" OED; there was a talk
>recently by one of the people involved in the project, and as far as he had
>heard there were no firm plans yet for a CD ROM version (though it would seem
>like a natural enough idea).

In this month's BYTE (vol 13. no. 2) in the Microbytes section describes a
version of the Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM put out by Tri Star
publishing.  Apparently, it comes on 2 CD-ROM disks (using a whopping 800Meg).

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP