[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Accelerator Boards

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (02/03/88)

I'm thinking of boosting the speed of a vanilla XT (true blue).
Recognizing that I am currently dealing with the nadir of PC speed, I
want to find a really nifty board to leave my old notions of computing
speed in the rear view mirror.
	What have people tried?  What are some real life stories about
how slick and peppy their PC work has become.  In particular, I am
considering the Breakthru 12 (286), and the Intel 386 PC board.
Thanks...

amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (02/03/88)

re: PC accelerators

   I believe that 286-based accelerator cards seldom offer more than
a 100% increase in processor throughput. You did not make it clear if you
were looking for a card or a new motherboard.

   If you are looking for a small increase in throughput (about 2X),
I suggest you look at some of the 10 MHz XT motherboards out; they are VERY
inexpensive. Otherwise, a 'baby AT' motherboard will fit in your PC/XT case
and provide up to 12 MHz 286 performance.

   Geoff (watmath!fido!221.171!izot)

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/04/88)

I have been using the Breakthru 286 8MHz board since just before the
faster one was produced, and it's the best $395 I ever spent on my XT
clone!

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334