[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Expanded memory from extended memory?

z34@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET (Yutaka Matsumoto) (02/01/88)

Hello!!
I'm sorry interrupt you.

In article <251@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <1127@hp-sdd.HP.COM> hoff@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tom Hoff) writes:
> >...What I need
> >is a device driver to turn 80286 extended memory in to LIM EMS memory.
>
> No can do, according to some sources.  The LIM EMS spec lets you map one
> memory block to multiple main memory windows.  The emulator(s) work by
> copying from extended memory into read main memory.  I think that you

Does it mean LIM expanded memory area must be read through the LIM window?
and it must be MAPPED the same CPU address space (page frame address) ?

> can see what this copying would do to software that expected to be able
> to modify the SAME block of memory at two addresses.  :-(
> -russ

I am looking for a LIM driver implemented by software emulation.

Is there anyone who made LIM emulation driver for 80286 or 80386 ?
I heard there is a LIM emulator using 80386 protection mode or
exception or virtual mode or another function.

Please let me know such kind of LIM driver.
And please post in net, not by mail.

Thanks,
		Yutaka Matumoto
	z34%.kyocera.junet@uunet.uu.net

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/02/88)

In article <234@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET>, z34@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET (Yutaka Matsumoto) writes:

> I am looking for a LIM driver implemented by software emulation.

Three LIM emulators I'm aware of include the following (first two
commercial, third shareware)

V-EMM, Fort's Software, PO Box 396, Manhattan, KS 66502 913 4372897

LIMSIM, Larson Computing, 1556 Halford Ave. #142, Santa Clara, CA 95051
    408 7370627 (Zenith tech rep said this worked well for him an a
                 Z248 with Lotus)

vram.arc shareware on you local friendly BBS

Oh V-EMM is $89.95 and LIMSIM is $65 + $5 sh.

     PC Magazine reviewed these emulators about 14 months ago, can't
locate exact issue offhand.

Have not personally used any of these.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

z34@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET (Yutaka Matsumoto) (02/04/88)

Thanks for your follow.
In article <4538@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
> vram.arc shareware on you local friendly BBS

It seems good for me. Thank you.

--
	    Yutaka Matumoto
	z34@kcvax.kyocera.junet