[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Screen Blanker WARNING!!

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bobmon) (01/28/88)

In article <2750@omepd> pcm@iwarpo3.UUCP (Phil C. Miller) writes:
>WARNING TO HERCULES MONOCHROME USERS!!!
>When used with the FANSI terminal device driver, BURNDEV WILL DESTROY YOUR
>DISPLAY CONTROLLER.  I know this from experience as it cost me TWO controllers
>before I figured out what was happening.
>
>Therefore, DO NOT use BURNDEV and FANSI in combination.  For those of you who

If you have Fansi, why not use its screen-blanker?  (Unless Fansi can't blank
the Hercules driver) I can see no reason to add resident screen-blanking code
when Fansi is installed anyway.  The option is enabled with a switch in
config.sys, which is documented in the on-disk manual.

.who,me?

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/28/88)

Since FANSICONSOLE includes a screen blanker, why would anyone want to
use both programs???

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (01/28/88)

In article <161@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> Since FANSICONSOLE includes a screen blanker, why would anyone want to
> use both programs???

The biggest problem I have with FANSI-CONSOLE screen blanker is when I am
downloading.

FANSI does NOT check to see if something is written onto the screen, it looks
for keypresses.  If there are none in the alotted time, there goes the screen!

This can get tiring REAL FAST when you are downloading (or uploading for that
matter) a file and while you are watching the process, the screen blanks out on
you!

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Computer Graphics Research Consultant   |        241 Math-Science Bldg.
UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth |        Bowling Green State University
CSNET: ritzenth@bgsu.edu                |        Bowling Green, OH   43403-0125
ARPA : ritzenth%bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net   | Phone: (419) 372-2102

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/29/88)

FANSICONSOLE does indeed blank a Hercules video card.

--

burgin@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Burgin) (01/29/88)

In article <5678@iuvax.UUCP>, bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bobmon) writes:
> If you have Fansi, why not use its screen-blanker?  (Unless Fansi can't blank
> the Hercules driver) I can see no reason to add resident screen-blanking code
> when Fansi is installed anyway.  The option is enabled with a switch in
> config.sys, which is documented in the on-disk manual.

BURNOUT allows the user to blank the screen manually by
pressing Ctrl + Shift.  As far as I know, there is no
manual option with FANSI.  You just wait until the automatic
screen blank kicks in.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/02/88)

In article <1530@bgsuvax.UUCP> ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:

>The biggest problem I have with FANSI-CONSOLE screen blanker is when I am
>downloading.
>
>FANSI does NOT check to see if something is written onto the screen, it looks
>for keypresses.  If there are none in the alotted time, there goes the screen!

Let me suggest my solution to that "problem".  It's based on the feeling
that while up- or downloading, I can go away and leave my computer to do
its thing, while I can put my time to better use.  Oh, I guess I snuck
the solution in there :-).  I go away and do something else, and let the
comm program's beeping let me know that the file xfr has been completed.

What comm program do you use?

(Parenthetical remark that has nothing to do with subject, but is meant
to overcome the "feature"/"bug" of 'rn' that refuses to send an F
posting if I haven't exceeded the amount of included text with my reply.
If anyone knows how I can convince 'rn' that my one-line replies may be
as valuable as my more lengthy ones, please let me know.  Over and out.)

--

jsin@CS.UCLA.EDU (02/02/88)

In article <1530@bgsuvax.UUCP> ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:
>In article <161@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>> Since FANSICONSOLE includes a screen blanker, why would anyone want to
>> use both programs???
>
>FANSI does NOT check to see if something is written onto the screen, it looks
>for keypresses.  If there are none in the alotted time, there goes the screen!

Yeah, When you are running a mouse-based program, like the paint brush,
It's a pain in the butt to have the screen go blank on you.

>This can get tiring REAL FAST when you are downloading (or uploading for that
>matter) a file and while you are watching the process, the screen blanks out on
>you!

This has not bothered me so much, since I don't like to sit around
waiting for down/up load to finish.  I use Procomm 2.4.2, which beeps
when it finishes the transfer.

Hmmmm.  When I ftp a large file, the screen
will go blank, and then when ftp is done and writes on the screen to
let you know, the screen will come back. I can sit across the room and
ocassionally look at the screen to find out when ftp is done.
I use version 2.0 of fansi.
But, I still have the problem of using the mouse-based programs,
whether or not I load the fconsole before loading the mouse driver.
Perhaps it can only detect non-graphical screen writes. Anyone know
how that works?

Just thinking out loud.

John (Jonghoon) Sin
UCLA SEASnet Facilities   InterNet:   jsin@seas.ucla.edu
2567 Boelter Hall         UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs!jsin
Los Angeles, CA. 90025    VoiceNet:   (213) 206-6864

Disclaimer: Above opinions are mine, all mine; they do not reflect the
opinions of any organizations/corporations/associations/institutions/etc.
other than myself, unless specifically stated as such.

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (02/03/88)

Re: Screen blanking while downloading

So, just hit the 5-key on the numeric keypad.  Almost zero software uses it,
but it convinces FANSI (and other blankers) that you're still there.  By
using the 5-key, there is almost zero possibility that your software will
interpret it and do something you don't want at that moment.

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (02/03/88)

We are in the process of putting together some machines for our tutors
here at Athabasca University and have been experimenting with both
these products.  When tested on Zenith 241's & 248's they do not seem
to create any problems.

When reading the documentation for BURNOUT, there is an emphatic
message that the program should not be used on Hercules boarded
computers.

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (02/04/88)

>FANSI does NOT check to see if something is written onto the screen, it looks
>for keypresses.  If there are none in the alotted time, there goes the screen!
>
>This can get tiring REAL FAST when you are downloading (or uploading for that
>matter) a file and while you are watching the process, the screen blanks out on
>you!

So set the time-out to 10 minutes...or just hit a non-destructive key
(such as Shift or Alt)...or down-load in the background using "Mirror".
No biggie.
--
Tom Levin  (The Robo-Programmer)          {ihnp4|sdcrdcf|ttidca|scgvaxd|nrcvax|
part man, part machine...                  jplpro|hoptoad |csun|quad1|bellcore|

fantasm@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73596000) (02/04/88)

	I just hit the alt key when my screen goes blank.
	Nothing uses that alone that I run.

	Also:  someone aked for a sideways printing utility.
	I have such, but don't remember who asked.  Mail me
	and I'll send you the file.

|=======================================================================|
| banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU	| You are growing sleepy... very sleepy |
| banshee%ucscc!ucscb.BITNET	| you can not keep your eyes open.....  |
| !ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!banshee	| Send all of your money to bob dobbs.. |
|-------------------------------| sleepy, very sleepy-- you do not want |
|				| to eat muffins  bob dobbs muffins bob |
| My GOD!  Its _full_ of SPAM!!	| 6 6 6  Kill your mother muffin dobbs  |
|				|	--No Subliminal Messages Here   |
|=======================================================================|

kerry@bcsaic.UUCP (Kerry Strand) (02/05/88)

>>FANSI does NOT check to see if something is written onto the screen,
>>it looks for keypresses.  If there are none in the alotted time,
>>there goes the screen!

I press the shift key to restore a blanked screen.  It does the job
without generating any keyboard input which may be inappropriate
for whatever is going to be reading it.

Kerry Strand      kerry@boeing.com

todd@net1.ucsd.edu (Todd Goodman) (02/05/88)

In article <11470021@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: Screen blanking while downloading
>
>So, just hit the 5-key on the numeric keypad.  Almost zero software uses it,
>but it convinces FANSI (and other blankers) that you're still there.  By
>using the 5-key, there is almost zero possibility that your software will
>interpret it and do something you don't want at that moment.
>
>---------------------
>Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
>				HPG200/13
>				(408) 447-5580
>---------------------

Actually, pressing the shift key has always worked for me.  I suppose that
that wouldn't do it for some screen blankers, but it works for my version
of FANSI (2.0 I think).  A nice program.

				Todd Goodman
				todd@net1.ucsd.edu
				...!{ihnp4|ucbvax}!sdcsvax!net1!todd
This posting made possible by a grant from Ignoble Oil Corporation;  Drilling,
  Spilling, and Killing marine life for over 50 years, so that you may pump your
  own.