[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problems with 'df' & 'du' in Picnix, ver 2

db21@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Dave Beyerl) (02/02/88)

	I have noted some problems with the utilities 'df' - disk
free space, and 'du' - disk used space, in the recently posted
Picnix, ver 2.  My system is an AT&T PC-6300 having dual floppies
(drives a: and b:) and external hard disk (drive c:).  I am
currently running DOS 2.11.  The problems I am having are as
follows:

   df - works fine if I request for drive a: or c: or if either
	is the default drive.  When I try to request for drive
	b: I get the following messages:

		*  Illegal Interrupt No. 0Bh at 22A2:1617  *

		=: invalid drive specifier:  b:

   du -	works fine if I specify any drive name, even b:.  The built
	in help indicates "If no names are specified on the command
	line, the size of the current directory is given."   However,
	when I type 'du<cr>' I get '     0     0.0K     .' as the
	response.  This is obviously in error and does not appear to
	be consistent with the help.

						Dave Beyerl
						ihnp4!ihlpl!db21

carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) (02/05/88)

In article <3841@ihlpl.ATT.COM> db21@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Dave Beyerl) writes:

>	I have noted some problems with the utilities 'df' - disk
>free space, and 'du' - disk used space, in the recently posted
>Picnix, ver 2.

I haven't had the problems you noted - but I haven't tried them, either.
I have noticed that 'ls ..' prints an empty list - not what I had in mind.
Otherwise a VERY nice set of utilities, though, especially for the
donation requested.  I'm thinking about ordering the source - there's
sure to be some good examples & stuff in there.

Does anybody know for sure whether the author is still there at the
address given in the doc?  Has anyone ordered the source, and if so,
what do you think of it?

--
Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"I met a girl who sang the blues
                                        | and asked her for some happy news
UUCP:     carlp@iscuvc.ISCS.COM         | but she just smiled and turned away"
          ...uunet!iscuva!iscuvc!carlp  |

maa@nbires.nbi.com (Mark Armbrust) (02/07/88)

In article <3841@ihlpl.ATT.COM> db21@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Dave Beyerl) writes:

>	I have noted some problems with the utilities 'df' - disk
>free space, and 'du' - disk used space, in the recently posted
>Picnix, ver 2.
>		********************************************
>		*  Illegal Interrupt No. 0Bh at 22A2:1617  *
>		********************************************

I've not looked at the 'du' command yet, but for the 'df' command this
is caused by a one character typo!  The instruction at 1617h is an
INT 11 (0Bh -- COM2:) and it should be an INT 11h (Equipment check).

This can be easily fixed by patching:

	>copy df.exe df.bak
	>ren df.exe df
	>debug df