[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Add-ins to Quattro

woo@pioneer.arpa (Alex Woo) (02/05/88)

Borland's new spreadsheet Quattro has the capability of "add-ins",
namely additional programs within the Quattro interface.  I would
like to write such an "add-in."  How can I get some documentation
on doing this?

Somehow I got the impression that you could write programs in
Turbo C and Turbo Pascal that interfaced with Quattro.  This is
not at all obvious from my first look at the documentation.

Alex Woo
woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

cochran@dworkin.usc.edu (Steve Cochran) (02/07/88)

In article <4423@ames.arpa> woo@pioneer.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:

>Borland's new spreadsheet Quattro has the capability of "add-ins",
>namely additional programs within the Quattro interface.  I would
>like to write such an "add-in."  How can I get some documentation
>on doing this?
>Alex Woo
>woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

According to Turbo Technix (Vol 1 #2), the add-ins are .EXE or .COM
files containing interface routines "...linked from the library
distributed with the Quattro Add-in Toolkit.  The extension is changed
to .QAI from .EXE or .COM so that a user cannot accidentally execute
an add-in from DOS."  It goes on to say that you may have a max of
8 extensions (which may be a mix of either @ functions or add-ins).
The add-ins may be explicitly invoked by the user or triggered by
significant events on the spreadsheed (e.g. moving a block of cells).

A note mentions that there will be (was) a Developer Conference in
Santa Cruz, California Jan 20-23 and that a copy of the toolkit,
lodging and all meals were covered by a $395 fee -- so I would
guess (but only a guess) that it is in the range of the other
toolkits/boxes.

Steven Cochran                                          xx   X       xx
Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems            xx X      xx
University of Southern California                  XXXXXXxXx X    xx
Los Angeles, California  90089-0273                   xxX   XX  xx
                                                     xxx     xxx
                                                   xx  XX   Xxx    IRIS
ARPA/CSNET:  cochran%dworkin.usc.edu                   XxxXxXXXXXXXXXXX
UUCP:        ...uscvax!oberon!dworkin!cochran          Xxx
                                                       X  xx
Home Phone:   (818) 767-3812                           X    xx
Office Phone: (213) 743-3309                           X      xx